MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a MG6 2011, it started having problems starting, got worse, now will not start at all.
Push the key in to start nothing, do this again and again then will start, could take 15 min or more.
Taken it back for fixing, one week in for repair and £700 lighter, garage replaced the "Car Body Module"?
Lasted One week same problem, HAVE BEENTOLD - power from ignition switch, and power to relay for starter motor ok, no earth to relay, and the garage cannot find the fault.
It has been in the garage for the last two weeks, and still no answers.

ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, OR AN ANSWER THE GARAGE WHERE I PURCHASED IT SEEM TO BE AT A LOSS.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
329 Posts
Is the dealer you are using a MG main dealer? Take it to one of those as they might be better qualified to identify and fix the problem.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - Yes the Garage is the main dealer for East Yorkshire - Maple Garage - Very nice people but seem to be having difficulties

·
Super Moderator
10,995 Posts
Taken it back for fixing, one week in for repair and £700 lighter, garage replaced the "Car Body Module"?
Lasted One week same problem, .
Hope your are going to ask for a refund. This happens all to often. I suppose this is the way garages fix cars now days. Keep swapping bits until the fault goes away. Finger in the air and hope for the best springs to mind.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Own a MG6 2011, it started having problems starting, got worse, now will not start at all.
Push the key in to start nothing, do this again and again then will start, could take 15 min or more.
Lasted One week same problem, HAVE BEENTOLD - power from ignition switch, and power to relay for starter motor ok, no earth to relay, and the garage cannot find the fault.
It has been in the garage for the last two weeks, and still no answers.

ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, OR AN ANSWER THE GARAGE WHERE I PURCHASED IT SEEM TO BE AT A LOSS.
No issues with mine but is the battery OK. Switch on clutch ?

Who is your dealer ?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Make sure that it's got a Bosch battery as the early Varta ones were responsible for some starting issues - and also, I presume this has been checked, the connection on the starter motor are known to corrode.

£700 is mega money, I'd steer clear of that garage again!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks yes It's back with them, "Maple Garage", probably end up in a disagreement. The part replaced cost £300 plus, seem nothing wrong with it. I hoped someone may have an idea where the fault could be?

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,055 Posts
Push the key in to start nothing,
Do you mean there is no response from the starter motor at all? If so, my immediate reaction would be to suspect a poor connection; either on the starter motor itself or quite possibly the main earth lead from the battery. It may be a loose connection or possibly damage along the cable somewhere.

However, I would assume that a competent main dealer technician would have the nous to have started by looking along the same lines (or is that expecting too much?).

Welcome to the forum :welcome:.

I hope it gets sorted out properly and you are able to enjoy your ownership in the future :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Do you mean there is no response from the starter motor at all? If so, my immediate reaction would be to suspect a poor connection; either on the starter motor itself or quite possibly the main earth lead from the battery. It may be a loose connection or possibly damage along the cable somewhere.

However, I would assume that a competent main dealer technician would have the nous to have started by looking along the same lines (or is that expecting too much?).

Welcome to the forum :welcome:.

I hope it gets sorted out properly and you are able to enjoy your ownership in the future :)
That expecting too much,most dealers go straight for the harder to fix problems because they earn big money, so ignore simple problems which don't earn any money.

·
Registered
mg_zt
4 Posts
Check temp gauge

I own MG 6 petrol and had same fault which i solved myself.Temp gauge showed normal running temp even when engine stone cold.Changed temp sender unit which looking at front of car is on the right hand side .awkward to see but once found easy to change. ecu wont give extra fuel because it thinks engine is hot.hope this helps.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Graham. I'll look at this let you know. Now coming up to 5 weeks 4 year old car 33000 miles, looks like scrap value!!!!!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was the problem you had the starter motor would not turn? That's the fault I have.

No problem with power, everything works fine except starting.
1- Key inserted, instrument sweep.
2- Clutch depressed
3- Push key to start, ""NOTHING"

Thanks

·
Registered
mg_zt
4 Posts
MG6 starting issue

Not the same fault as i had.When you say everything works till you depress clutch and nothing happens ,it wont turn engine over ,could it be switch at the pedal has broken.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
What does the display in the centre show ? Try depressing the clutch and the brake and see if it starts. The sensor on the clutch inhibits power to the starter motor so seems a likely culprit

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
3 Posts
I know its a bit late but I have had a similar problem a few times - it turned out to be a loose Faston connection on the Starter motor relay. The wire (its a pink one) which clips onto a tab on the relay teminal won't pull off because of a integral clip but the connection is not tight as it should be. Some one else posted a picture of the wire a few years back. The starter motor relay is behind the engine accessed from above. Just jiggling the connection will usually solve the problem until you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have MG6 i have problem switch my car not start i replace witch after 1 week i have same problem sitch have broken i replace again after 6 days same problem have broke switch .. please help me whats this ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello dear ..
i have MG6 i have problem switch my car not start i replace switch after 1 week i have same problem switch is broken i replace again after 6 days same problem have broke switch .. please help me whats this ??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I have no experience of such failure. Maybe you could provide more info and someone else can help. Such as what switch is problematic? Is the battery OK, earthing points clean?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts