MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an mg6 which needs an engine seal, the dealership have had it 3 weeks and still on back order, wouldn't be so bad but you have to pay for courtesy car as mg only allow £7-£8 per day towards it, my faith has gone in a car I really like, has anyone any details for someone high up the food chain. we were about to toss a con between the mg3 and new swift for the wife as she's had the last swift 6 years and hasn't missed a beat..that coin won't be getting used....rant over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not good news for you. My MG dealer does not charge for a courtesy car, even when it is just for a service. Your wife would enjoy an MG3, as it has an all singing, and all dancing specification, and for you, the price is right. She would also get a wave from other MG3 owners. Cant vouch for the spares situation as have not needed them.

·
Registered
mgf
645 Posts
MG should be doing more for you with respect to the courtesy car considering it is due to them that you need one in the first place, in fact they should be covering the cost.

They also should be apologising profusely, having to wait 3+ weeks for an engine seal is unacceptable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some good news, I managed to contact Paul Underhill at MG, although he can't sort the part as they are on back order, it could be a few days or much longer, he got me a car from avis so I'm now mobile, he did say that the dealership misinformed me and I should have had a car, whether Stanley cars were mistaken or just trying to get cash out of my misfortune I don't know, they do seem decent guys so I presume the former..thanks to Paul if he reads these forums..

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I was told indirectly by our local MG dealership to get rid of the 6 as there are no parts & they're pulling replacement parts off the spare vehicles just to service the ones on the road.... Apparently they're no longer making spares.

How true is this.... I've only just purchased mine about 4 months ago. So long as the general things like brakes etc can be serviced I'm happy enough, if I smash it then I expect the insurance to write it off regardless....

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,066 Posts
Apparently they're no longer making spares. ....
The law requires that spares be available for a minimum of ten years after the cessation of production/sale of a particular model of vehicle. There is no way round this. They could only stop making spares if they consider they have sufficient in stock to last the expected demand over the required time period.

As there were something over 100000 of them sold in China, I would think it highly unlikely that parts are no longer being produced or no longer available just yet ;) MG Motor UK may well be dragging their heels over getting small turnover parts restocked from China however.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,682 Posts
Just sounds like a bad lack of communication, all the need to do is get hold
of someone in a spares department in China to hook them up rather than
raiding the Longbridge parts bin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess this is the problem people will have with the new mg cars as they are simply not a British car what so ever now and everything has to come from bloody China. Would of been a lot better if they had of been made at Longbridge

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
mg_zt
2 Posts
I retuned my 6 after waiting over 3 months for a power steering pump and sd card for satnav.
Told them they could put it where the sun don't shine.
If you can't get simple things like that, I don't hold much hope for them. pity really because I really liked that car.:frown:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
329 Posts
The law requires that spares be available for a minimum of ten years after the cessation of production/sale of a particular model of vehicle. There is no way round this. They could only stop making spares if they consider they have sufficient in stock to last the expected demand over the required time period.

As there were something over 100000 of them sold in China, I would think it highly unlikely that parts are no longer being produced or no longer available just yet ;) MG Motor UK may well be dragging their heels over getting small turnover parts restocked from China however.
I believe that is a European law so might not be as applicable to Chinese companies. Still, I think anyone running a first generation MG6 longer term will need to start looking to China to source parts and that might be difficult for versions like the diesel not sold there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
What about all the unsold MG6's?

I'm a bit surprised if some enterprising person working at MG Motor UK isn't already asking what's left of their engineering staff to dismantle all of the part built MG's that couldn't be sold because the diesel engine wasn't Euro 6 compliant?

There must be a gold mine of parts just gathering dust somewhere.

Surely they couldn't have been shipped back to China after manufacturing at Longbridge was shut down because diesel is not popular for passenger vehicles in China therefore only truck and buses tend to use that fuel.

Cheers..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts