MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a quick chat with Avis in Stockton to see if I could get an MG6 for my weekly hire they had to disappoint me as none have reached this far north yet - closest being York

Was plesantly surprised today to get a text saying:
"Good Afternoon Mr Barton its Bryan from Avis Stockton just wanted to let you know I have a MG for your next booking to be delivered on Monday morning"

So I'm already looking forward to next week now! I'm going to be travelling to Liverpool on Tuesday and Wednesday, across to Northampton on Thursday and then back to Teesside Thursday night.

Following week I am leaving for Cardiff on Monday morning at 5am sharp for 3 days so will be keeping this hire for then as well.

In total I guess I'll be clocking up 1200 miles or more in an MG6 in the next fortnight - keep an eye out for lots of pictures and an extended test report..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Outside sits a nice MG6 in blue - its only an S model and not the SE but beggers cant be choosers

Neighbour just asked if that was my swanky car outside - the only other car I have had a comment about is an Alfa Giulietta.

I'll do a full review once I have driven it over the next few days - however first impressions on the usual comments:

- Plastics - as a hirer on a weekly basis I have had cars with far worse plastics and interior trim. Its no where near up to the standards of my Audi A4 but its not a million miles off our Freelander and is certainly on par with a Focus, Astra, 308 etc. Its probably as good as the Giulietta in quality terms but not as good to look at.

- Dashboard - the dials are ok - it doesnt instill high levels of quality it must be said. The trip computer is easy to use although the display is a little small and could do with better fonts/graphics. Being a bit picky here though - it does a good job and again is much better than some of the competition. I'm sure the SE and TSE dash displays are better with the sat-nav, camera etc.

Some other initial views:
- seats are very comfortable and supportive
- looks great in the flesh
- boot is huge
- alloys are too small on the S
- middle dash layout is good - cant agree with some comments that the heating/ventilation is badly placed
- power delivery is excellent on the 20 miles or so driven
- could do with a leather, stitched steering wheel - probably again due to S spec

Initial impressions are very good - I was really worried that I would be disappointed and so far I am not. Hopefully it stays that way once I get another 600 miles under its belt before Friday.

Thats it so far - will get some pics and a full write-up before the end of the week!!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pics yet as it was dark when I left this morning. 179 miles complete so far, 80% motorway at 75 and mpg 37.6 according to the trip computer. Not as bad as I was expecting for a car with only 1200 miles on the clock and it did get some beans on a few occasions on the A roads and away from roundabouts.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Try using them or finding the switches on the bottom of the panel when you're in 5th ;)

pfft, shouldn't be fiddling with those controls at that kind of speed anyway.

It'd of got 5 starts if the euro ncap folks had realised it had a saftey feature like that ;P

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
nice mini review there...just what we need more of in this section.

looking forward to your full version together with pics......

can i ask how much the weekly rental is on the mg6?....although ive got 2 perfectly good cars,i might hire one for a week when we go off camping in a couple of months and give it a good assessment of my own.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
pfft, shouldn't be fiddling with those controls at that kind of speed anyway.

It'd of got 5 starts if the euro ncap folks had realised it had a saftey feature like that ;P
To be fair, I was trying to turn something off.. I can't recall what now!

-- ah, i can - the Traction control to see if it was even working (it seems to allow quite a bit of slip).

Turned out it was as I found out at the next junction. Quickly put it back on again!

Nowhere near as good as the TC on the ZTT though, nowhere near.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice mini review there...just what we need more of in this section.

looking forward to your full version together with pics......

can i ask how much the weekly rental is on the mg6?....although ive got 2 perfectly good cars,i might hire one for a week when we go off camping in a couple of months and give it a good assessment of my own.
Just got back tonight so will try and pull something together tomorrow and get some pictures taken. I'm back in Liverpool on Wednesday so I have another 300+ miles to do in it before another 7-800 next week when I visit Cardiff. My diary keeps changing though so destinations may change!

According to the Avis documents its a group D car - which is a Large Compact class.

We are only supposed to rent Group E which are a class below at Medium Intermediate (Dont understand their group methodology!!). A group E on our rate is £55 a day and expect that D is around the same.

I think you can probably get a better deal with Avis though - this for example:
http://www.avis.co.uk/mg50

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Todays run on fuel is better again - its done 1600 miles now so expect it to get a bit better!

Here are figures from last trip:

159.8 miles
2hrs 32minutes
4.1 gallons

I work that out to be about 39mpg and as you can see from the trip time I wasnt hanging about. Mostly motorway - M6 from Liverpool and then over the A66 transpennine route so lots of hills.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Todays run on fuel is better again - its done 1600 miles now so expect it to get a bit better!

Here are figures from last trip:

159.8 miles
2hrs 32minutes
4.1 gallons

I work that out to be about 39mpg and as you can see from the trip time I wasnt hanging about. Mostly motorway - M6 from Liverpool and then over the A66 transpennine route so lots of hills.
That's pretty good if it's accurate. We all know real world MPG is nowhere near the claimed figures of most cars. My parents new Astra 2.0 diesel is currently averaging 38mpg although it is only doing very short local runs, I reckon it's capable of low 50s mpg on a decent run. But 39mpg in a car that I'm guessing is a lot more enjoyable to drive is a fair compromise I reckon.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's pretty good if it's accurate. We all know real world MPG is nowhere near the claimed figures of most cars. My parents new Astra 2.0 diesel is currently averaging 38mpg although it is only doing very short local runs, I reckon it's capable of low 50s mpg on a decent run. But 39mpg in a car that I'm guessing is a lot more enjoyable to drive is a fair compromise I reckon.
Over the 405 miles I have done so far the trip computer says 35.7mpg - thats a mix of motorway, A roads and a couple of hours of heavy town driving around Liverpool last night and this morning.

I'm not sure the tank was full yesterday when I started out as the first fuel light went out after about 15 miles but I havent filled it and according to the handy guide in the glovebox the fuel tank is 62 litres - there is 38 miles left now apparently.

I will brim the tank tomorrow and then again after my trip on Friday and work the mpg out the proper way and let you know - however so far its not as bad as I was expecting, particuarly as my Audi A4 has averaged 42.1 mpg over the last 24,000 miles - for a 2 litre 170 diesel its not bad but not much better than the MG6 when you factor the extra cost per litre for diesel and higher service cost.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've still not had chance to do a full write up - but here are some pics I've taken this afternoon to be getting on with! Apologies its filthy - its not my car and I'm not washing it :lol:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some close ups of the engine bay

And to compare against a K series:
MG6:

1.8 Freelander from same angle (obviously not as clean):

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, whip it off! Looks very similar underneath from what we've seen so far.

Seeing 'real' photos of the MG6 for me emphasises how good the car looks, and how modern as well.
I'm not sure the hire company would be too pleased :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts