MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please this is urgent I need to use the vehicle in a few hours. I just need to know if the oil separator goes to the left or the right of the cam cover. Thank you.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your reply. Which pipe out of the two pipes entering the cam cover is the breather pipe? I've currently left the oil separator in the position as shown in my images. Thank you.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilliant thanks for the quick response and information I'll place the filter in the correct location at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
No worries what do you think to the 6 I noticed there fairly cheap now was thinking about one for a everyday car

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's my mother's daily driver. However I've driven it a few times. The ride is very smooth and it has anti roll back. The acceleration is very strong for such a big car. I can't really think of anything bad to say other than sometimes I notice a stability control fail warning now and again, which seems to be a common thing. As long as you find one that's been well looked after, I'm sure you'll enjoy the 6.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've placed the filter here (see the red arrow on the right)
https://ibb.co/mYjP59

Is that correct? It's the only part that the filter will comfortably fit without being forced, but its not direct in front of the hole that leads to the breather pipe as you can see in the red box area.

If you look at the machined out parts in the red box, it all seems to channel through to the breather hose, so I think the filter can be placed anywhere within the left section of the cam cover as the channels all seem connected. If this is wrong please let me know...it's just a theory and observation.

If I place the filter in the machined cut out section closest to where the breather pipe connects to the cam cover, (left arrow, pointing upwards) the filter will protrude....and once the cam cover is installed, as the filter is protruding, it'll press on top of the cam cover gasket, which may push the gasket down onto the camshaft during engine operation.

Thank you.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please see quick diagram! In short, the filter doesn't fit in the machined cut out area directly where the breather enters the cam cover! So, that leaves two other places it could go. However, I've noticed something on the cam cover gasket which may help signify where the filter goes. Please see link below:

https://ibb.co/dHmLhp

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sorry been on holiday the pictures aren't very clear on phone can you get one from above with the cam cover up side down

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,883 Posts
Almost identical.

Having fitted an MG6 engine to my MG ZT-T, I can confirm the two engines are almost identical. Here is the location for that Mesh Oil Mist Collector in the K-Series. :~

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,883 Posts
Is the thermostat of the original design and placement?

Puzzled by this question. On the several K-Series cars in my and my family's ownership, the thermostats are all original and placement standard. Be they remote PRTs ( like the MG 6 and MG ZT 1.8Ts ) behind and below the radiator or, located adjacent to the Water Pump housing on the back of the engine as with most other K-Series Engines.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Puzzled by this question. On the several K-Series cars in my and my family's ownership, the thermostats are all original and placement standard. Be they remote PRTs ( like the MG 6 and MG ZT 1.8Ts ) behind and below the radiator or, located adjacent to the Water Pump housing on the back of the engine as with most other K-Series Engines.
What I meant was where did the Chinese put the thermostat on the 1.8T engine in the MG6? Was it in the original position under the intake manifold or else where

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My cam cover looks different compared to image provided.
Not sure if my oil mist collector goes on left or right of the cam cover?

My Left has a hose leading from the cover to the intake system (something to do with the turbo).
My Right has a hose leading from the cover straight to the inlet manifold.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,883 Posts
What I meant was where did the Chinese put the thermostat on the 1.8T engine in the MG6? Was it in the original position under the intake manifold or else where
The Rover 75/MG ZT 1.8T and MG6 have a PRT ( PRESSURE RELEASE?REMOTE THERMOSTAT ) located at the front of the car below and just behind the radiator.

From memory because it is around four years since I worked on the MG6 engine, there is a similar black plastic housing for a Thermostat on the MG6 Unit below the Inlet manifold but, it is empty ... PRT ... Yer Tis... that's the Turbocharger top right in the picture. Car is 55-Plate MG ZT-T 1.8T

This was the MG6 engine in a friend's car before it met a premature end.

Here it is now in my ZT-T.

Maybe you can work out what hose goes where from these pictures. The MG6 has a FBW [ Fly By Wire ] Throttle body .. the ZT 1.8T a Throttle cable. The breather hoses were a simple fit as all aligned perfectly.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on the image of the cam cover, and which I've learned so far, I'm not really sure if the oil mist catcher goes on the left or right of the cam cover on the MG6, thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts