MG-Rover.org Forums banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Windy I fully support your argument, but Lingang is in outer urban Shanghai. To say that it's in Hong Kong or on land over which the union flag once flew is like saying John O' Groats is a near neighbour of Lands End! You could fit all of Great Britain in the gap between Shanghai and Hong Kong!
I wasn't saying it is in Hong Kong!!!

Hong Kong became British as part of the treaty of Nanjing which also removed the Union Flag from Shanghai and which gave the UK and other nations the right of free trade from the ports of Shanghai, a significant part of old Shanghai was built by the British, the same side of the city on which the MG6 is built I believe, although someone else may have more accurate knowledge of the layout of Shanghai...

There is a good reason for the S in the initials of that large British bank HSBC!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Patrick, are you saying Windy's been at the product which made the British so interested in Shanghai that they settled there in the 19th century? ;)
That is indeed the reason why we had armed forces carrying the flag across that piece of land; and people complain of China not living up to our standards for human rights !!!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Why can't they build it in Nanjing. I thought they had a brand new MG factory
It uses the existing Roewe production line because a lot of it is identical.

The next car to be released will be a Nanjing car with both Roewe and MG versions built in Nanjing. The Nanjing factory has recently doubled in size for this.

·
Registered
36,348 Posts

The next car to be released will be a Nanjing car with both Roewe and MG versions built in Nanjing. The Nanjing factory has recently doubled in size for this.
what Ash first called MG Roewe makes a lot of sense, however we got there!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
Why can't they build it in Nanjing. I thought they had a brand new MG factory
They also have an equally brand new Roewe factory at Lingang.

SAIC have sensibly rationalised their plants. Pukou makes small cars - currently MG3 and soon to include the Roewe 350 and new small MG. Lingang has gained the MG7 alongside the Roewe 750 and will soon get the MG6 alongside the Roewe 550.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Does this mean they moved all the R75 line, robots, BIW again from Nanjing to Lingang. Also what about engine production, has this been moved/rationalised

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
8,748 Posts

Is this the 350/MG5? Have you heard anything over that side about whether the Roewe models will come to the UK alongside the MG versions? I've read on various websites that the 550 will be badged MG5 but that doesnt make sense to me as its the same size.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
192 Posts
Sorry to say this and no doubt I will be hung but I think the MG 6 looks so boring and bland. MG should be sporty , classy and appealing in a BMW / Audi way , but what do we get ,an updated 1990's Nissan / Toyota. Shame on the designers - but this car will not sell in Europe , the styling just doesnt work and doesnt say MG. I defy anyone to say I am wrong!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This is the Chinese version the UK version may well look more sporty, if they can make the 45 look as sporty and fast as the ZS then the 6 should be easy.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
They also have an equally brand new Roewe factory at Lingang.

SAIC have sensibly rationalised their plants. Pukou makes small cars - currently MG3 and soon to include the Roewe 350 and new small MG. Lingang has gained the MG7 alongside the Roewe 750 and will soon get the MG6 alongside the Roewe 550.
And then there is the Yizheng factory, with another new Roewe model due before long.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Does this mean they moved all the R75 line, robots, BIW again from Nanjing to Lingang. Also what about engine production, has this been moved/rationalised
That line is busy in Pukou, Nanjing making the MG3 and assembling what is expected to be called the Roewe 350, the Roewe 350 bodies are made on new equipment. Remember that most of the R75 equipment is still at Longbridge!

Nanjing has the production of the new engines for the R350, most of the current cars are using SAIC engines.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,066 Posts
Sorry to say this and no doubt I will be hung but I think the MG 6 looks so boring and bland. MG should be sporty , classy and appealing in a BMW / Audi way , but what do we get ,an updated 1990's Nissan / Toyota. Shame on the designers - but this car will not sell in Europe , the styling just doesnt work and doesnt say MG. I defy anyone to say I am wrong!!
You are wrong! :p

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I defy anyone to say I am wrong!!
Talk about arrogance.

Like everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what will appeal to one person, won't necessarily appeal to another.

I personally don't like the styling of the BMW X6 and 1 Series, but they still sell by the bucketload.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
192 Posts
Some people never seem to know the difference between arrogance and a fun comment- of course everyone thinks different - that was the point of my last comment! I dont like BMW's that much myself but I still will give them credit for looking premium. Anyway I think the XF is the best looking car of recent times but I hate the final third of the new XJ. As for the MG , the front is reasonable , the back looks dated , but the side profile is what makes its so bland. No arrrogance then , then just my view and you are all welcome to yours- sometimes on this forum people would say a wheelbarrow with the MG badge looked good. The buying public will decide but dont expect a queue at the dealer!

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Some people never seem to know the difference between arrogance and a fun comment- of course everyone thinks different - that was the point of my last comment! I dont like BMW's that much myself but I still will give them credit for looking premium. Anyway I think the XF is the best looking car of recent times but I hate the final third of the new XJ. As for the MG , the front is reasonable , the back looks dated , but the side profile is what makes its so bland. No arrrogance then , then just my view and you are all welcome to yours- sometimes on this forum people would say a wheelbarrow with the MG badge looked good. The buying public will decide but dont expect a queue at the dealer!
I would suggest that if you intend a serious comment to be a fun one then you should put a suitable smiley at the end otherwise people are going to read what you type whether you meant it or not.

·
Registered
36,348 Posts
mate, you are member 57 on this site, I can only think of two people here with a lower number offhand and one of those is the automation bot.

I'm surprised that, with all that experience, you appear not to have realised that your post is publicly available to read.

I mean, "shame on the designers", who have worked long and hard to come up with a car that many people like and many others don't dislike - that's far too strong, even as a joke. Even if you don't like the look of the car you can't deny a lot of hard work went into it.

You didn't have another job in 2003, did you? ;)

·
Registered
36,348 Posts
:err: pat, the automation bot is member 514 http://forums.mg-rover.org/member.php?u=514 !!!
I'd still like to know where he got the rep from! ;)

OK, I only know of two members with a lower member number, and they're both Steve Childs? :lol:

Fun game:

no.1,SteveChilds, 27,150 posts
no.2, chris, 1 post
no.3, gerry hiorns, no posts
no.4,RichardK - 3,274 posts - now I've heard of him!
no.5, richard b, no posts
no.6, ichatfield, 368 posts
no.7, nigel smith, no posts
no.8, andy, 8,436 posts - can spell Coventry in Chinese :URGOD: but last seen three months ago :(
no.9 Kevin Davis, 734 posts

err that's enough members for now.

so that's three I know well out of the first ten!

181 - 200 of 213 Posts