MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

On 26th Feb 2019 I bought a used 2013 mg6 turbo. On driving home the 'stability control failure' message came on along with the relevant warning light. I made a couple of short trips after this in the next day to see if this happened again which it did. I advised the dealer and I had a local garage run the diagnostics which came back with a long list as follows:
IPK instrument pack
ATC Auto Temperature control
ESCL electric steering column lock
BCM body control module
RS rain sensor
ECM engine control module
SDM supplemental restraint system

The codes and descriptions that showed were as follows:
U0010 - Bus off
B1714 - Actuator reported blocked steering column
B1731 - analogueCAN speeds inconsistent
B1732 - auxillary driving relay at wrong time
B1733 - auxillary signalling imminent off at wrong time
U1176 - ABS seems to be powered or empowered at wrong time
B1421 - L solar sensor open or short circuit to GND
B1422 - R solar sensor open or short circuit to GND
C008B- HHC failure (caused by clutch or reverse gear signal fault)(MG6 EU ESP only).

The garage I used said that they hadn't worked on an mg6 before and therefore the dealer is saying for me to take it back to them for repair. My questions are as follows.
Does anybody have any input as to the potential severity of the above issues?
What are peoples opinion on my issue? With it being inside of 30 days would yiu recommend that I return the car and ask for a refund due to the faults or is it more likely that the faults can be quickly corrected? The car is under warranty and the dealer will carry out repairs at their cost.
The dealer is around two hours drive from me.
Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,883 Posts
Spread the word more widely

Hi and :welcome:

Best to get that copied and posted over on the Facebook group for the MG6s and other Chinese MGs.

There a more folks there with wider MG6 experience and know how. so best to spread your net wider if not already done so.

I fitted an MG 6 engine to my MG ZT-T 1.8T... Great engine.

See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kev.

I've owned an MG6 1.9D for 2 years.
It's had a few issues, electrical gremlins seem to be a common thing shared amongst them.

I had an issue where I lost my Electronic handbrake, instrument cluster, ABS, Traction control, "Brake failure", cruise control failure... all in the space of 30 seconds. Was a very scary situation, took it back to the dealers who gave it a good look over and ended up re-flashing the ECU. It's not happened again since then.

Another common cause is a corroded earth/bad earth connection.

If you like the car, I'd be inclined to take it back to the dealer (If it is an MG dealer) and give them a chance to fix it. If it isn't an MG garage, I'd be a bit more cautious as alot of garages don't seem to have experience with them.

Luckily as you have the 1.8T Petrol, you have an abundance of engineers who can service your car comfortably (It's basically a revised K-Series). My diesel on the other hand is another matter. My local garage went to service it and found no information on the database. They got parts for it, but couldn't source an oil filter. In the end they ordered it directly from an MG dealership to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Kev.

I've owned an MG6 1.9D for 2 years.
It's had a few issues, electrical gremlins seem to be a common thing shared amongst them.

I had an issue where I lost my Electronic handbrake, instrument cluster, ABS, Traction control, "Brake failure", cruise control failure... all in the space of 30 seconds. Was a very scary situation, took it back to the dealers who gave it a good look over and ended up re-flashing the ECU. It's not happened again since then.

Another common cause is a corroded earth/bad earth connection.

If you like the car, I'd be inclined to take it back to the dealer (If it is an MG dealer) and give them a chance to fix it. If it isn't an MG garage, I'd be a bit more cautious as alot of garages don't seem to have experience with them.

Luckily as you have the 1.8T Petrol, you have an abundance of engineers who can service your car comfortably (It's basically a revised K-Series). My diesel on the other hand is another matter. My local garage went to service it and found no information on the database. They got parts for it, but couldn't source an oil filter. In the end they ordered it directly from an MG dealership to fit.
Thanks for the input. Sounds a hairy situation that you were in!
It is a great looking car, I cant help but feel stressed over having found these faults now. The dealer seems to be dragging his feet on when I can take the car back into them to get it seen to, but then also believes it will be a small job to deal with. Aiming to have it with them by the weekend for them to work on it next week.
I am in two minds regarding rejecting it due to the faults, I dont even know if the faults are major faults!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and

Best to get that copied and posted over on the Facebook group for the MG6s and other Chinese MGs.

There a more folks there with wider MG6 experience and know how. so best to spread your net wider if not already done so.

I fitted an MG 6 engine to my MG ZT-T 1.8T... Great engine.

See attached.
Thanks for the input. I took your advice and joined a forum on Facebook. Various comments with possible reasons but nothing too detailed or comments on how major the faults are to be honest.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Thanks for the input. Sounds a hairy situation that you were in!
It is a great looking car, I cant help but feel stressed over having found these faults now. The dealer seems to be dragging his feet on when I can take the car back into them to get it seen to, but then also believes it will be a small job to deal with. Aiming to have it with them by the weekend for them to work on it next week.
I am in two minds regarding rejecting it due to the faults, I dont even know if the faults are major faults!
It really was! I pulled into a car park and had to sit with the brake pedal depressed as the handbrake wouldn't engage!
Luckily functions came back after I waited a few minutes and then tried to restart it.

I get what you mean completely I was really worried I'd made a stupid decision etc... However besides that and the window mech breaking (Fitted a replacement myself) it's been a pretty solid car.
I used to get ABS/Traction control warnings popping up randomly when driving at very low speeds/in traffic. I suspect a faulty ECU/Earth was to blame.

My honest thought is that your faults are caused by a similar issue and it being re-flashed/Earths checked, then it'll resolve these problems. I've heard of the odd sensor failing as well, so possibly could be a duff sensor to boot, but at this point MG dealers seem to be pretty good from my experience.

Maybe say to him that you're considering rejecting the car/returning the car due to the reasons and that you are willing to give him a chance to rectify the issues before going down this route? It'll mean they make sure the problems are sorted as they won't want to refund you!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts