Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille

Source URL:

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've quite liked the direction SAIC have gone with the MG brand design-wise, especially when you look at the Chinese market cars. The MG5 saloon, also sold where I am in Thailand, is a good looking car. I can't say I'm so sure about this new one. Perhaps it's one of those cars that'll end up badged differently depending on the market. I'll reserve any specific comments until its official release.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
They really don't seem have a direction to go in at all.

First we had the 6, 3, GS, ZS, HS, Then the 5 and now possibly the Cyber E. Talk about mismatched range names.

Almost as mismatched at the faces of the cars and designs.

A very odd way to rebuild a brand tbh.

Most maker shave some familiarity in the range to some extent, family face and some sort of naming or numbering system that seems to mean something or at least follow on from each other.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Looks like Autocar have been to the school of make it up based on bits of info and hope some of it is right.

Autocar said:
Its size places it neatly between the current MG 3 – which is set to be replaced in the coming months by an all-new electric supermini – and the 5 estate, which makes it likely this new car will be called the 4. Indeed, a link posted to MG's Twitter feed redirects to a URL containing the phrase 'MG 4 tease'.

MG is also planning to introduce a new family of youth-focused EVs under the 'Cyber' banner, with the eventual production version of the Cyberster roadster serving as a flagship. It is possible that the 4 will form part of this roll-out.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
I also wonder if going all electric is the right decision so early. They need to have hybrid models in the meantime for more appeal. A lot of people are still reluctant to go electric, because of the lack of infrastructure, parking issues at home and the cost of electric cars.

I did a fuel comparison the other day. I spend probably 1200 to 1500 a year on petrol. An ev comparison suggested a saving of several hundreds of pounds a year, think the figure was around half. But that does not take into account the extra cost of the car in the first place. Which that extra cost buys a lot of fuel.

Electric vehicle still have some way to go to be viable for most users. And by declining three petrol models and hybrid models then sales will possibly fall as well.

·
Registered
ZS EV 2020
2 Posts
You may be right about the number of people who are EV reluctant. We are in NZ and in month 14 of our ZS EV experience. 7kWh charger at home which I justify against future EVs and the long distance travel anxiety is mostly in my head. True, savings are not apparent with the first car in the short term perhaps but weighed against our grandkids planet and daily travel costs we think we are ahead. We are already looking around for our next EV.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Better renders than the blue ones I saw previously.

Again not sure if I like the looks of that tbh, looks very generic and could have any badge on it tbh. Assuming the finished article looks remotely like that render of course.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its going to be called MG4
I've changed the thread title as it's turning out to be around the same size as the ZS SUV, but the Chinese have an aversion to the number 4 as it sounds similar to the word for "death".

Citroen had to change their C4 model to C-Quatre for this.

If the rumours are true, the car will be called the CyberE in only China and the MG4 elsewhere.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
In Thailand there will be the MG VS HEV, which is a combination of the ZS and a Roewe font end and interior, launching in a few days time. There is also the HS PHEV already available.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Thailand there will be the MG VS HEV, which is a combination of the ZS and a Roewe font end and interior, launching in a few days time. There is also the HS PHEV already available.

Why do the other countries get the interesting cars that we don't get in the U.K?

Cheers..

·
Registered
12,008 Posts

Why do the other countries get the interesting cars that we don't get in the U.K?

Cheers..
Very odd, if they want to be a global car maker why keep making such odd choices for some markets. Just design them in the first place for all markets and sell the same cars the world over. It works for most other manufacturers.

What a strange thing to do.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Very odd, if they want to be a global car maker why keep making such odd choices for some markets. Just design them in the first place for all markets and sell the same cars the world over. It works for most other manufacturers.

What a strange thing to do.

I don't know the exact reason, but I suspect the VS was created to fill a gap that SAIC have in the MG lineup. In Thailand there's been quite a few hybrids and mild hybrids launched from other manufacturer's at the B-segment SUV level, and MG didn't have anything in that lower price bracket to compete. Quite why they went to the lengths of grafting the nose and dashboard from a Roewe onto the ZS is anybody's guess, possibly they had to do this to be able to make use of the hybrid system from SAIC and was the least tooling option available to get a hybrid B-segment SUV to market.

In Thailand there are hefty taxes incurred on cars imported from outside ASEAN zone, with exceptions seemingly given to 100% BEV, hence MG not being able to just import the Roewe Totoro hybrid from China and rebadge it.

100% BEVs are starting to make inroads here, but there is some reluctance while infrastructure is being developed, especially for those who live or need to travel outside of the main population centres. You can in theory buy a MG EP (MG5 Estate) for about £18K after government incentives (sadly MG have skimped on safety kit to get the price down with just a pair of front airbags and the usual ABS, traction control etc), but new orders were quickly stopped due to large uptake, and deliveries have been slow arriving by all accounts. I'm not sure if the order books have opened again since. Being a saloon car height and the lack of side airbags makes it a no-go as far as I'm concerned. U-turns are used extensively here and are one of the most dangerous manoeuvers you can do, with the passenger side of the car totally exposed to fast moving traffic.

It'll be interesting to find out from the reviews just how much benefit is gained from the hybrid system on the VS. It doesn't appear to be a plug-in system as on the HS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts