MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If this had been a £300 option when buying new I would have had it. Does seem a tad expensive to buy later on though. Nice to see they are offering quality upgrades, so fair play to MG.
Mattie - your wish is my command:

8"Capacitance Touch Screen Car GPS Navigation For Morris Garages MG 3 With USB Player,Bluetooth Music,Car HD DVR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Just noticed this at £246. It appears to be more than a sat-nav as well. I'm not sure if it runs the same sat-nav software as the 'official' MG unit though.

Seem to be some other options as imports as well. Anyone tried one yet?

AL

· Registered
cityrover
4 Posts
If this had been a £300 option when buying new I would have had it. Does seem a tad expensive to buy later on though. Nice to see they are offering quality upgrades, so fair play to MG.
Just ordered MG3 style I should be picking it up within two weeks from today I ordered this with the universal phone holder but when I took the car out for a test drive at brown and gammons had integrated a satnav were the phone would be. When I asked about the sat nav they said they just put it in to test it out and it would cost £500 for the satnav but I have had a look on their website and they are doing it for £475 I take it the rest could be fitting charges I am not sure. But in my opinion it does look a lot better than just having the phone bobbing about in the centre I'm not sure what the satnav is actually like I just wondered if anybody has any ideas on the satnav

· Registered
934 Posts
I pick up my 3 style+ tomorrow and will be getting the satnav installed. I do not like having all sorts of cables and other units straying about the car. I also wonder about the present legality of using a mobile phone as a sat nav. It is still a mobile phone and of one was sighted pressing a key on it even in the satnav mode that could lead to a problem. One of the advantages of it over the 6 one is that the maps can readily be updated on line.

· Registered
934 Posts
I now have the three and have covered all of 120 miles. The satnav was installed when I picked the car up. The usb port is now in the glovebox so much better than wires trailing around on the dash. The new satnav is in some ways a bit better than the one in the 6. It has full postcode but the screen is a bit dim. Really needs some sort of cowling on it. It also does not feed into the car audio system but has it's own speakers and very importantly can be updated to the latest maps without breaking the bank.
The car is good to drive but does not have the instant overtaking ability of the 6. I am definitely using much less fuel although still running it in. The control switches on the dash and the steering wheel have a much more solid feel about them. My wife misses the reversing camera. The bulbs are much more accessable than on the 6. We (ie my wife) decided we were going for the ruby red colour with no decals. It does look quite smart.

· Registered
3,135 Posts
I pick up my 3 style+ tomorrow and will be getting the satnav installed. I do not like having all sorts of cables and other units straying about the car. I also wonder about the present legality of using a mobile phone as a sat nav. It is still a mobile phone and of one was sighted pressing a key on it even in the satnav mode that could lead to a problem. One of the advantages of it over the 6 one is that the maps can readily be updated on line.
Sat Nav or Sat Nav on phone, you shouldn't really be pressing either whilst you are driving. Both are too distracting and can kill.

· Registered
mg_tf
501 Posts
Sat Nav or Sat Nav on phone, you shouldn't really be pressing either whilst you are driving. Both are too distracting and can kill.
Whilst I agree with you about the dangers of being distracted by a Sat Nav or phones, where do you draw the line? What about changing radio channels? Select a track on a CD (if anyone still uses them). Smoking? Having a lit cancer stick in front of your face must present a challenge.

As I’ve said, I do agree with you but there are some things you need to do while the vehicle is in motion, I draw the line at texting and entering phone numbers but if I had to stick to a single radio station or not be able to agree to a change of route on the Sat Nav during a 4 hour journey, I think I’d have even more problems.

· Registered
934 Posts
How do cars get map updates and what costs are involved?
To update the built in satnav on the 3 there is a card with the maps on it. This can be unplugged and updated on line. The first update is foc but I have not looked into the costs of future updates. This is certainly better than the 6 . The cost of just the one and only update was extortionate and now well out of date. Once a journey is programmed in there is no need to touch the buttons as directions are given by a male voice. We still have to find a method of preventing it from spouting out 'you are over the speed limit' every so often.

· Registered
other_mg
1 Posts
Faulty Sat Nav

Hi has anybody got one fitted and having problems? Mine was fitted by the dealer when I purchased the car new in June 2016, it been great until 4 days ago when I got an error on start up saying

"Navigation Failed to Load" with 2 option EXIT or NAV PATH Selecting Exit, goes back to main menu, NAV PATH brings up "Please insert the Navigation devices"

I have been in communication with NAVIEXTRAS, they are confident it's hardware related, this was proved today when my local dealer Perkins proved the SD card works OK and a known good SD card brought up the same error.

They tried a full reset but the same error, MG are saying it only has 12 months warranty, therefore I need to buy a new unit @ £455ish, MG have offered £120 towards the cost as a good will gesture.

I'm 19 not earning much so there is little hope of buying a replacement unit, i have emailed INaviagation via website but not got anything back yet.

A few questions:

1. Has anybody had the same issue?
2. Any thoughts on a solution?
3. Anybody know anybody who works in a electrons workshop that could look at it?

Any help would be great

William

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Was a finance company involved in this car purchase?

Hi has anybody got one fitted and having problems? Mine was fitted by the dealer when I purchased the car new in June 2016, it been great until 4 days ago when I got an error on start up saying

"Navigation Failed to Load" with 2 option EXIT or NAV PATH Selecting Exit, goes back to main menu, NAV PATH brings up "Please insert the Navigation devices"

I have been in communication with NAVIEXTRAS, they are confident it's hardware related, this was proved today when my local dealer Perkins proved the SD card works OK and a known good SD card brought up the same error.

They tried a full reset but the same error, MG are saying it only has 12 months warranty, therefore I need to buy a new unit @ £455ish, MG have offered £120 towards the cost as a good will gesture.

I'm 19 not earning much so there is little hope of buying a replacement unit, i have emailed INaviagation via website but not got anything back yet.

A few questions:

1. Has anybody had the same issue?
2. Any thoughts on a solution?
3. Anybody know anybody who works in a electrons workshop that could look at it?

Any help would be great

William
Hi,

I can't help you with the sat-nv issue but did you use a credit card as part of the car purchase or is it on some sort of finance as you might be able to get the credit card company/finance company involved in the dispute and they could help out with the costs somehow.

I know that for the credit card there used to be section 75 which gives some sort of consumer rights but I am not sure if this is applicable in this case or even asking trading standards as obviously mechanically the car is under a 3 year warranty with MG but accessories such as an additional sat-nav device might not be covered.

Good luck!

Cheers..

· Registered
1 Posts
Faulty Sat Nav Hi has anybody got one fitted and having problems? Mine was fitted by the dealer when I purchased the car new in June 2016, it been great until 4 days ago when I got an error on start up saying "Navigation Failed to Load" with 2 option EXIT or NAV PATH Selecting Exit, goes back to main menu, NAV PATH brings up "Please insert the Navigation devices" I have been in communication with NAVIEXTRAS, they are confident it's hardware related, this was proved today when my local dealer Perkins proved the SD card works OK and a known good SD card brought up the same error. They tried a full reset but the same error, MG are saying it only has 12 months warranty, therefore I need to buy a new unit @ £455ish, MG have offered £120 towards the cost as a good will gesture. I'm 19 not earning much so there is little hope of buying a replacement unit, i have emailed INaviagation via website but not got anything back yet. A few questions: 1. Has anybody had the same issue? 2. Any thoughts on a solution? 3. Anybody know anybody who works in a electrons workshop that could look at it? Any help would be great William
Hi William, Yes, I've just had the same problem with my builtin satnav on an MG3 purchased new in 2016. I think the message I get reads something like ' insert navigation card'??? but there's no place for a card/usb stick on the device/in glove box! The FG Barnes Maidstone dealership (where car was bought) proved to be inefficient and pretty useless so there is no point seeking advice or help there. Sorry I'm unable to help ... I'm using Google maps on my iphone (securely anchored to the dashboard with a magnetic thingy from Amazon!) ... good l I

21 - 37 of 37 Posts