MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 15reg MG3 style lux from new with 2,680 miles done. The clutch got stuck down yesterday when attempting to pull away in first gear and my wife had to pull the clutch back up manually. She said that clutch had pressure when pulling it back up, the same amount as if you were pushing the clutch down. Only did it once yesterday and we did go out in the car later. She went to work this morning and went to pull away on a hill near home, clutch got stuck but this time on bite point with first gear engaged. Same fix, manual pull up with the same pressure as mentioned above.

We phoned our MG dealer and reported the fault but they have never heard of this issue. I know there is someone on this forum that had the same issue but sadly the thread ends with no answers on the cause. The dealer has said that they need it to do it all the time to be able to fix it, thanks MG :(.

Has anyone any ideas? Had or got this issue with their MG3?

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
4 Posts
MG3 Clutch sticking down

This is caused by an air leak into the clutch hydraulic system due to a leaking seal at the bulkhead join. It's an easy fix and if your dealer phones MG they will tell him what to do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I had thought it might be an air leak but where the car is new I just didn't know. I am surprised the dealer reckoned they didn't know what this issue was though as normally its air in the hydraulic system or a broken bracket.

I will update once its sorted but again a big thank you.

PS is this a common fault on the MG3?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for letting me know. Not ideal if the dealers don't know what to do. My dealer has now asked us to book the car into the service centre so they can review the issue. I hope they find the cause.

Will it continue to do this clutch sticking issue until its fixed or could it just be a phantom gremlin?

Problem gone away yesterday and her drive to work I hear was problem free.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
4 Posts
Clutch sticking down

It won't go away but it won't do it all the time. There is a rubber seal which fits in the join at the bulkhead, if you run your finger under it you will probably find a small amount of wetness. It's easy to find just trace the clutch pipe back from the gearbox.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
4 Posts
Clutch sticking down

It won't cure itself, but it won't happen all the time. There is a rubber seal at the bulkhead join which leaks, if you run your finger under it you will probably find a small amount of wetness. It is easy to find just follow the pipe back from the gearbox to where it goes through the bulkead.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Very informative thread for those with this issue.

Excellent job all :broon:
This is the first I've heard of it, but if this is the second time in 2 weeks as Littlechicken has said, maybe there is a dodgy batch of seals?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I thought the others were due to a bush failing on the clutch arm, and someone mentioned corrosion on clutch arm due to condensation in the engine bay had contributed (I think it was Kerridges). I am no mechanic though and just relaying conversations from elsewhere.

3rd one I have heard of in the last few weeks now. Lowest mileage one though. The other 2 were 13k and 17k respectively.

·
Registered
cityrover
1 Posts
It won't cure itself, but it won't happen all the time. There is a rubber seal at the bulkhead join which leaks, if you run your finger under it you will probably find a small amount of wetness. It is easy to find just follow the pipe back from the gearbox to where it goes through the bulkead.
Can you show images of the problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has the same problem with her 14 reg MG3
Hi I had this issue about a year ago, when i spoke to my local MG garage they advised me it was the clutch arm bolt which gets corroded and sticks.
I had a look and sprayed penetrating oil with can with straw,at base of arm where it goes into gearbox housing, and touch wood its been perfect.
I occasionally give it a spray if checking oil etc.
Worth a try maybe(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have recently had this problem with my 17 reg MG3 and my mechanic did some research into this. His findings were that the problem can either be at the clutch pedal end for the master cylinder or some bushes that go into the gearbox for the release arm. After consulting some local MG dealers, one at least wanted to charge an exorbitant price for simply investigating the issue. I reported this back to my mechanic who described this as "taking the piss"! I took the car back to him and in less than 10 minutes he had established that it was the bushes that need replacing. He later reported that it would be a 4½ hour job and didn't think that the bushes would be that expensive.

I also asked him if this was covered by warranty and he said "No" as it is a design fault, however later advice that I got was to check if MG knew this to be a design fault - the inference being that if they didn't then I could claim on the warranty.

So can anyone advise if this is a known design fault? I'll look forward to reading any replies.

P.S. I'll also ask my mechanic to check if the seal is leaking...!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 15reg MG3 style lux from new with 2,680 miles done. The clutch got stuck down yesterday when attempting to pull away in first gear and my wife had to pull the clutch back up manually. She said that clutch had pressure when pulling it back up, the same amount as if you were pushing the clutch down. Only did it once yesterday and we did go out in the car later. She went to work this morning and went to pull away on a hill near home, clutch got stuck but this time on bite point with first gear engaged. Same fix, manual pull up with the same pressure as mentioned above.

We phoned our MG dealer and reported the fault but they have never heard of this issue. I know there is someone on this forum that had the same issue but sadly the thread ends with no answers on the cause. The dealer has said that they need it to do it all the time to be able to fix it, thanks MG :(.

Has anyone any ideas? Had or got this issue with their MG3?
We have a 19 plate mg3 and our clutch started squeaking, then the clutch has been getting stuck down, it has 25, 000 on the clock and only does motorway miles not run about so not heavy use on the clutch. Sticks a lot more when car is hot, it's already bee. Looked at and couldn't find a fault, however driver dropped it back off and said it is un driveable kept sticking for him we got aa out and got it recovered, garage has rang and said the gearbox needs removing to view the fault and to find whether it's wear and tear or a warranty fault. Surely it's not wear and tear!! Any help or advice from ppl that have had similar issued and got resolved please get in touch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts