MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I own a MG3 2014
Last night i tried to start my car , the key turned and nothing happened , no noises

We tried jump leads on it and TBH I have never seen sparks off a battery like that before when we attached the leads , it looked dangerous but the car would not start

So we tried a power pack jump starter the same happened , massive sparks at the battery and head of leads , would not start

So we bumped started it and the car fired up and ran , i gave it a good run afterwards

Today the car will not start again but the lights work , horn , indicators central locking system with the fob etc

Put the battery on charged it should full after a short while

Any ideas what it could be , i did take the car to a car wash in the morning , just thinking had water got in some where but carpets dont feel wet etc etc

Is it a fuse , DC unit , Alternator

Any ideas, thoughts and advise would be welcome

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,031 Posts
HI , The starter motor its turning the engine , i am going to look for a new one , thanks...
I’m not clear what you are saying here. If the starter motor is turning the engine over at a good speed, there is no point renewing it. You should look for the problem elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI

I own a MG3 2014
Last night i tried to start my car , the key turned and nothing happened , no noises

We tried jump leads on it and TBH I have never seen sparks off a battery like that before when we attached the leads , it looked dangerous but the car would not start

So we tried a power pack jump starter the same happened , massive sparks at the battery and head of leads , would not start

So we bumped started it and the car fired up and ran , i gave it a good run afterwards

Today the car will not start again but the lights work , horn , indicators central locking system with the fob etc

Put the battery on charged it should full after a short while

Any ideas what it could be , i did take the car to a car wash in the morning , just thinking had water got in some where but carpets dont feel wet etc etc

Is it a fuse , DC unit , Alternator

Any ideas, thoughts and advise would be welcome

Thanks in advance
On the left side of the pond here - no MGs post 1980, but some problems are universal. Usually, when you connect up jumper cables, there will be two or three small sparks, but if you get a shower of hot sparks, it’s most likely a polarity problem. Is something marked incorrectly? If, somehow, the polarity did get reversed, it could cause major damage to either alternator, battery, or both. On a modern car, it have damaged electronics also - but that’s way beyond the limits of my knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the left side of the pond here - no MGs post 1980, but some problems are universal. Usually, when you connect up jumper cables, there will be two or three small sparks, but if you get a shower of hot sparks, it’s most likely a polarity problem. Is something marked incorrectly? If, somehow, the polarity did get reversed, it could cause major damage to either alternator, battery, or both. On a modern car, it could have damaged electronics also - but that’s way beyond the limits of my knowledge.
I forgot to add that if a connection to either of the battery terminals is not secure, it can often deliver enough power for just about anything on the car except the starter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies , a battery lead was loose and the starter motor looked a bit burnt out , i have replaced the starter motor , thanks , and the car now starts and runs ...., thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts