MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys need some help,
I've just put a new kenwood stereo in my zt to upgrade from the old Kenwood cassete player KRC 391 the cd changer works but the steering controls no longer work.
On the new head unit Kenwood Krc w5031 there is a spare lead that says its for the steering controls but i dont know where this needs to go?
do i need to get some sort of adapter as its a kenwood i thought it would just be plug and play.
cheers
chris

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Chris1982 said:
On the new head unit Kenwood Krc w5031 there is a spare lead that says its for the steering controls but i dont know where this needs to go?
The remote works by infrared, and its under the eyebrow at the top. Just need to make sure its correctly positioned in relation to the stereo (I had a look at the Kenwood site and the unit you mention has thr requsite sensor on it). Can't make out where it is, but shining a tourch at the display should reveal where it is on the front panel (its'll show up red and probably be square). Just need to move the sensor to the approriate cut-out in the black insert on the underside of the eyebrow.

·
Registered
mg_zt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok just checked the old unit and it has an infared reciever on it and looking at the manual of the new one they are on oppisite sides.
I will have a look at the car and see if i can find the eye.
will let you know
many thanks
chris

·
Registered
mg_zt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok just had a look at the car and found the infrared eye and moved it across so it was on the same side as the headunit.
if i hold the eye in front of the unit it works but when it is above it, it wont work.
if i hold my hand near the eye on the headunit it works soon as i move away it stops. I've tried pulling the eye out but it has to be to far out to get it to work and doesnt look very nice.
I dunno what to does anyone hav a solution or know if there is a hardwired module that i could use instead?
cheers
chris

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Chris1982 said:
Ok, just had a look at the car and found the infrared eye and moved it across so it was on the same side as the headunit. If I hold the eye in front of the unit it works but when it is above it, it wont work. If I hold my hand near the eye on the headunit it works soon as I move away it stops. I've tried pulling the eye out but it has to be to far out to get it to work and doesnt look very nice.
I've had to have the sender some way out before now, but still managing to keep it under the eyebrow. Another thing make sure its orientated '-' (flat) as opposed to '|' (sticking out where it can be knocked off). Bad illustration, I know.

·
Registered
mg_zt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i made sure its flat and pulled out quite a way past the eyebrow and it will work just doesnt look very good.
if i put my hand near the reciever the signal must bounce off my hand and it works.

just checked the caraudio direct website and they sell a hardwired adapter but it says for 2003> models would this still work or would it be different? dont wana get it if its for the wrong one.

thanks for all your help

chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts