MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, My ZTT 135+ cdti wont start! 53 plate 62k Drove home other night parked her up at home, next day would not start. Turns over and over but no fireing, glow lights come in and out etc. After reading the forum i have checked a few things. Plenum fingy. i do park under a tree and know this to be a proble although i have not checked it for a while. Now threre was water in section closest to the wing NS. But there is a plastic divider between wing and ecu compartment. cleared hole water drained. I removed the cover over ecu signs of a little water in the very bottom had been there but not a vast pool covering the ecu. Checked ECU bone dry no signs of water anywhere. The pollen filter also dry (if it eached ecu should have reached pollen filter and this would absorb so should still have been damp). I guess we eliminate flooded ecu. Pumps, checked under rear seat can hear pump running with ignition, also engine pump running the same. Removed pipe from top of fuel filter and diesel is pumping through on turnover. Loosened injector pipe nut (with care) on turnover diesel can be seen comming out. So i am guessing its not a fuel issue?? as it it reaching the injectors i have removed and reconnected any connectors on engine e.g of end of common rail sensor, ecu connectors. Q`s Does the pumps have to give a certain pressure or is just diesel flowing to the filter etc enough as the common rail bit will do the pressure? (fuel tank and pump b4 fuel filter) previous problems / history the car did break down on me 6 months ago, on a journey back from derby came of a round about and engine just cut out. Would not start. AA towed me backto stoke got it off low loader and it started. 3 miles down the road cut out again. after a few mins it started and i got it home. The next day it started and i drove it Dales in Stoke on Trent for diag. Once i parked it up did not start again and would not. They ran diag and said it was a prob with the injectors a common fault with bmw 2.0 diesel. They wear and let air back in. They said new injectors or they could replace nozels etc for £400 much cheaper solution. They did it run sweet untill now. Just as a note had MOT done last week guy said it was the cleanest emissions he had ever tested, not sure weather that helps or not. Could this be the same problem? but that problem would allow starting after a while with persistant trying. Had the car 12months this is the 2nd major breakdown. please help

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Your post is very hard to read...no paragraphs. This may be why you are getting no response.

There are a few reasons why it may not start. Getting it hooked up to diagnostics may tell you more.

The fuel needs to achieve a certain pressure to start. So could still be a pump problem.

Failing that it could be sensor failure, theres quite a few so this where diagnostics could come into play. Typically looking at either cam, crank and fuel pressure sensors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i was quote 55 quid for diag and looking through the forum it looks like anything from about 55 to 60 quid is abought right,
I checked the symptoms like you and have gambled on Cam Sensor the guy at the local breakers yard agreed to

quoted 52 quid plus vat for the Cam Sensor so seems like a reasonable bet at the minute

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheap fix

well decided to have it towed in for a diag / repair. Called elephant breakdown / rescue to come and tow me in. They tried to resolve it which i thought no chance if the ask the gurus cant come up with an answer what hope has a tow truck guy got.

He started to worry me when he started spraying easy start in. He was saying oh the glow plugs might be knackered and i said well its a DI and has always started 1st touch without glow plugs (waiting for). Woosh car starts.

Now works perfect without waiting for glow etc. Maybe a air lock or blockage? Anywhoo no pump to replace or sensors or costly diag good old fashioned diesel engine trix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts