MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
To judge a 260 by it's headline numbers is to miss the point. It is quite a bit faster in the real world than it's 0-60 (6.2s) or peak power would indicate. It has a pretty good amount of torque, pretty much on par with most engines of it's age and size. It's really quite slow off the line but once moving the big wall of torque is very impressive.

But really the best part of a 260 is how well it goes around corners, especially for such a big car. We have both a 260 and a ZS 180, and while I love the 180 and really enjoy driving it, the 260 would out perform it pretty much anywhere except at the petrol pump.

As for the jappas, I've driven WRXs and EVOs, and sure they're fast, but they're also pretty boring, particularly in contrast to a 260. They're also not direct competitors for the 260.

I am by no means a fan of V8s (in fact I think it is the most overrated engine configuration around), but we love our 260 and won't be selling it.

Naw, the evo isn't boring. its awesome fun, I'll trade you mine for your 260 ;P

your right though they are totally different beasties. The evo still feels like it'd be more at home on a track than on the road

Awesomely sure footed in the snow too. if it wasn't for the fact i could see the white stuff you'd of thought it was a normal day the amount of grip it had

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
More then probably lol! I'll chat to anyone me :D All come over and have a gander, its the 10 year anniversary for us this year :)

Were you there mate, I didn't get chance to go around the ZT/75 section this year. :(

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I had a look at the 260's on the ZT area. Impressed by both the look and sound of them. At least a couple were 385's with a supercharger. I assume these were added after they left the factory by a tuner. Or did the factory do the 385's?

·
Registered
857 Posts
the 385's will be aftermarket, there were a couple of prototypes produced.

then Will Riley sold some Roush supercharged engines which were destined for the SVR when the 5.0 V8 was dropped and one or two have found their way into ZT's

you cant beat a high power V8, i had SVR 'Top Gear' car 118 and it was mind blowing.
going back to a previous poster, i cant see how you can dislike a skyline.

i had an R32 (not a GTR) and it was fantastic, had been lowered (rock bottom) straight six engine, modified for drifting.
and the GTR was standard pushing more than 300 bhp (above the official 280 bhp in Japan., 4WD, 4 wheel steer etc.
adding a few minor tweaks can get in excess of 500 bhp quite easily and no broken gearbox etc..
and ultra reliability

what is there not to like??

·
Registered
33 Posts
At least a couple were 385's with a supercharger. I assume these were added after they left the factory by a tuner. Or did the factory do the 385's?
One ZT-T did come off the production line with a Roush fittted. Its owned by a chap who works in the MGHQ at Cambridge (Although I think the V5 says MG ZT 260) Both the S/C`s on the 385`s you saw did come from ex Will Riley stock. Dave`s is a complete Engine and mine is the S/C taken from a SV-S engine on a pallet.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts