MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been speculated before on this forum as to whether any MG ZT 260s were made with an automatic transmission. It’s widely thought that the MG ZT 260 is only available in manual apart from a few ‘test automatics’ spotted around Longbridge.

That is up till now. Introducing the MG ZT 260 *Automatic* for sale.

The catch is it’s in New Zealand.

This is the first MK-II ZT I’ve had a proper look at, and the first V8. It’s a brilliant piece of kit. I’ve always liked the Mk-II styling and my first viewing just confirms it.

Now what’s interesting about finding an automatic 260 is that it may finally dispel the myth that the V8 engine is mounted differently in the MG and Rover models. Therefore in theory you could have a Rover 75 V8 with a manual transmission?

While in Auckland on the long weekend, I took the opportunity to check out new models from other manufactures (bets walking around the shops with mum & sis!).
Here’s what I thought:

A3 Sportsback: suits the new grill & looks great; a compact touring but sporty to boot.

A4: doesn’t suit the new grill; looks like a brick. Pre facelift A4 had more class.

VW Jetta: Really liked the chrome on the front, but the car looks oddly proportioned. I don’t care how well made the interior is, it’s boring. No wonder it used to be called Bora. Some of the seat fabrics in the Jetta & Golf were awful.

VW Passat: Better looking inside & out than the Jetta. Size wise I can’t figure whether it’s a 5 or a 3 series competitor (like the 75 in that regard).

Saab 9-3 & 9-5: There is no clear size distinction between the two. Parked next to each other I had to look twice to check what I was looking at. The 9-3 is a nice car though.

After looking at all these cars + others, the Rover 75 has one of the best interiors! I’m not talking about the materials or built quality, but the styling; it’s distinctive & welcoming.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nick you would know better than me but wasn't the launch of the Rover 75 v8 for Oz in New Zealand? I remember reading the review which was very good. I'm told there are only 12 v8's in Australia and only about 3 of these are 75s. I haven't checked further. One of these went to auction. I've never seen one ...flat out seeing a 75 in these parts let alone a ZT....and never a 260.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
miketata said:
wasn't the launch of the Rover 75 v8 for Oz in New Zealand?
Both the Rover 75 V8 & MG ZT 260 were launched in New Zealand, I remember reading about them in NZ car magazines. Whether the 75 V8 launch doubled as the Australian launch, I don't know, but sounds plausible.

Any information I've learnt is from NZ & Oz car magazines. Since I've never read an Aussie review on the Rover 75 V8 I just assumed it was never launched in your country. However, plenty have been written about the MG ZT 260 in your magazines.

I've only ever seen one 75 V8 in NZ, but that was unfortunately on the back of a tow truck:doh: .

miketata said:
I've never seen one ...flat out seeing a 75 in these parts let alone a ZT....and never a 260.
When I was in Brisbane/Surfers I made a deal that if my friends spotted a Rover 75/ZT before me, I'd shout them a beer. Fortunately for me they went thirsty. But in total I saw about 12 75/ZTs over the 13 days I was there.

But I know what you meant. They're pretty thin on the ground over here too. Which is a shame, because I'd like to see them more often.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm aware of one auto 260 in Oz vin 783, Know of nine 260's, one being a supercharged model so if you know of others to cough up. I would agree that I have not come across any R75v8's........yet.

Be interesting to see what the x- power grey vin is on the NZ one. From the auction last June they were all either black or xp grey. For ref the vins were 617, 619, 627, 694, 773, 774, 783, + the two I don't know.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith Alexander said:
So how much is it being sold for?
It isn't exactly cheap, but still a bargain considering what you get:

$77,000NZ or 25,780 pounds.

Here's the website: clicky. Go to 'used car stock' & click 'MG vehicles'.

It's a 2005 model so probably one of the last to run out of the factory. Next time I'm in Auckland I'll note down the VIN number. Or alternatively I could drop them an email.

Has anyone else ever come across an automatic ZT 260 before?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts