MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, well hopefully some people can asnwer me a few things on inforamtion on the two cars.

Starting my new job tomorrow and all being well looking at changing the chuggabug at the end of May this year.

But after looking on the bay of E, autotrader and piston heads etc... There are some damn nice looking 190's and 260's knocking about.

Can people shed some light on cons, and pros of both cars for me please? Insurance wouldn't be a problem, i've done quotes on a 190 and 260 so just information the general cars, common faults etc...

Also, running costs not a problem, she'll be parked up all week as i will be walking to work, so kind of a fun weekend toy. Ive driven the 190 before and was a nic car, and even a supercharghed one running approx 250bhp which was awesome! :evil: :D

Thanks for the help! :cool:

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I went for a new 190.. Owned a couple before that proved 100% reliable.
I was tempted to buy a 260.. The dealer who supplied my 190 had two 260 standards both in pearl black at £12995. Just £1000 more than my 190+
But there isnt really much differance in performance.. The 190 has an all alloy quad cam 2.5 V6 High reving power house of an engine.
The 260 has a antiquated cast iron 4.6 mustang V8 with only two valves per cylinder. More along the lines of a classic American muscle car really.

Similar performance and price. Not sure about the reliability of the 260. But I can certainly vouch for the 190.

Nick

·
Registered
mg_tf
78 Posts
Its the way the 260 puts its power down, the performance feels moderate but actually is startling due to the torque. Engine revs does not equate to road speed, drivability and handling easily outpaces a 190. The fuel consumption however does not with 21mpg average!!!

For example in 4th gear 30-50 5.5 seconds 50-70 5.5 seconds 70-90 5.5 seconds.

Finally the growl is what does it for me.... ;-)

However would not knock a 190 by any means....

·
Registered
17 Posts
go for the 190, seeing as not much to gain performance wise plus you will get better fuel consumption, have had mine for a month , like you it is my toy.

enjoy!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out the cost of spare parts - the 260 is very scary for some things (even consumables!). It put me off!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
They are both excellent cars with plenty of performance.. I looked long and hard to find a new 190. But would have definitley bought a new 260 if I hadnt found my car.

Test drive them both to make up your mind. Plenty of people on here im sure would let you test their cars!

Either offers so much value for money when you compare with the opposition.

Nick.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Stu

Like above YOU need to test them both together. Both look beautiful, but it is only you who can compare.

I have had a 190 so can compare the two. I would go with a 260 everytime all the time. I can understand the comments above about costs but if you have a 260 it is more than the parts. The 190 even though a fine drivers car was a bit weezy once you got past 120.

If you are into tuning, like you say can get a KV6 to 250bhp and some torque stear. With the 2004 16v ford block you can get upto 600bhp but people I know are happy with 410bhp as the current brakes etc will take 410 with no problem.

What ever you choose will be the right car.......as long as its an MG. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend of mine has a 260 that has approx 600bhp. (A lot of money spent though!) He took me for a really short trip and I could actually see the fuel guage dropping when he floored it. However, the grin on all our faces and the sound - oh my god the sound - almost made me cry. I would own a 260 if I had the money and could use it as a play thing, which it appears is the position that you are in. The one thing that might be worth considering is that if you get a 260 and decide against it after a while, I don't think you will struggle to move it on, I could be wrong there but it's a very specific type of car that interests a specific buyer and they are always out there somewhere. In fact if any of that logic rings true, I might get one myself! As a 43 year old, I can remember a fully customised 5.7 litre V8 Chevy sports van that I never bought when I was 23. I was in the position to do it but didn't and have never been in that position since. It's a regret that I have now. Go on, go mad. All that being said, did someone earlier mention a supercharged V6? Any info anybody?

·
Registered
mg_tf
78 Posts
Think the summary from the posts are, if you can afford the fuel and future cost of ownership its the 260, if not the 190...

Best of luck either way

·
Registered
922 Posts
IBut there isnt really much differance in performance.. The 190 has an all alloy quad cam 2.5 V6 High reving power house of an engine.
The 260 has a antiquated cast iron 4.6 mustang V8 with only two valves per cylinder. More along the lines of a classic American muscle car really.
I agree, but don't know why. Can someone loan me a 260 so I can change my mind :devil:

·
Registered
922 Posts
For example in 4th gear 30-50 5.5 seconds 50-70 5.5 seconds 70-90 5.5 seconds....
Agreed, but what does this mean in the real world? I once beat a Renault 19 Turbo in a Metro 1000 off the line at traffic lights and the driver was going for it judging by the rev's I heard from his car and the way he stormed past me past 30mph.

Measuring performance in a certain gear at certain speeds is fine on paper, but means nothing in reality.

Finally the growl is what does it for me.... ;-)
Yes and I agree, it would do it for me also ;-)

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
If you are into tuning, like you say can get a KV6 to 250bhp and some torque stear. With the 2004 16v ford block you can get upto 600bhp but people I know are happy with 410bhp as the current brakes etc will take 410 with no problem.
What do you have to do to get the 260 up to 400-600bhp?

my 190 is starting to feel incredibly weasily all of a sudden... :(

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
What do you have to do to get the 260 up to 400-600bhp?

my 190 is starting to feel incredibly weasily all of a sudden... :(
You would have to fit a supercharger to get that much power from that engine. Very expensive and sub 10 mpg!!!

What a pity MG/R didnt source a modurn V8 from BMW or Jaguar. Lots of bhp and economy. Im sure that would have been a best seller.

Nick.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
400 BHP is easy £5000-£6000 and one of these
http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.co.uk/v8supercharger.htm
No other suspension or brake changes needed car was built to take it
I hate to think how woolly my 190 would get with a similar amount of power!

Getting another 200BHP hmmm lots more money
Not sure I know of any road going cars with that much go like to see proof of the one mentioned above.

There really is no easy comparison between the two yes they look the same but believe me the 190 is slow by comparison in all normal driving conditions

Figures on paper are only half the story the V8 is a totally different driving experiences it had real grunt the 190 feels capable until you remember that it is only able to do so because it is very very low geared and to get it moving you need to use the box to the full the V8 is really a one gear car 3rd is usually adequate for any situation from a crawl to rapidly hitting 90mph

Don't get me wrong I still have my 190 because it is an easier car to drive light clutch lighter steering safer in the wet more toys better colour and a bit more economical on a long run scratching around the lanes here and it becomes a different story both giving 20 mpg ish

I love them both.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Wow that actually looks like a great conversion.. Think if I had gone the 260 route I would be getting that blower fitted.

If there are still new 260s available next March for 08 reg I may be persuaded after all. Specialy now there are no more 190s.

Would love to stay with MGs for a few more years. But definitley wont be buying anything Chinese built!

Nick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts