MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lo all, i got a mg zs 2002 hatchback silver, got paint code MNX went to halfords and did'nt have it on shelf, but they could mix it for me, got the paint home and unknown to me it woz different :(, were can i get get paint code mnx from? any help would be fanyastic

·
Registered
254 Posts
tried halfords mix and match service twice now, first time was so close to be un-noticable although it was slightly out, second time i took the fuel flap so they could be sure and after 45 mins they gave me a can and said its perfect.
i took it home started spraying a rear quarter and it was ****ing miles out.
turned a little job into a right pain in the ass.
Best advice is take the car or a piece of it to either a proper paint shop, quite a few will whip up half a litre for a nominal fee or find out which paint suppliers they use and take it there.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I had the same issue myself... their charts say pltinum silver is mnc but it is mnx. Apparently the guy said you have to go by the names not codes!!!!

Its the right one BUT word of warning its too dark (or my paint has faded-gutted) goto a factors or xpart!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
your best bet is to go to autopaint,most of the best bdyshops use these shops,try and find one thats been open for a few years,most of them now use a analiser ( is that spelt right ,lol) they press it against the car and it reads the colour or light or shade (dont really understand how it works) so you get an exact match,,and buy the way there are about 7 diff codes per each shade of paint,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope you get sorted,,,,,, cheers

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I had the same issue myself... their charts say pltinum silver is mnc but it is mnx. Apparently the guy said you have to go by the names not codes!!!!

Its the right one BUT word of warning its too dark (or my paint has faded-gutted) goto a factors or xpart!!
I bet they are getting confused with Platinum Gold and Platinum Silver, because Platinum Gold has a paint code of MCN (Maybe the guy was a little dyslexic with the MNC), whereas Platinum Silver is definitely MNX.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I bet they are getting confused with Platinum Gold and Platinum Silver, because Platinum Gold has a paint code of MCN (Maybe the guy was a little dyslexic with the MNC), whereas Platinum Silver is definitely MNX.
Nah I read the chart myself it was 100% wrong - take a look next time you are there(the charts infront of the paint stands)--guy was quite helpful actually (he said ignore the booklet as its useless)

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
34 Posts
I`d give Halfords a big miss, i went there to get some paint for my rover coupe,it was a polynisian green i think,wierd colour.. they mixed 4 tester colours up eventually,all wrong. they said the colour does not exist if they dont have it!! luckly weve got a auto paints down the road,they mixed the right colour up and also put it into an airosol can,instead of using spray gun, and for a can it gave a darn good finish after the lacquer was on..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts