MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new last Tuesday, exchanged i3, needed more legroom!
Charged i3 at night from 13 amp socket via timer to take advantage of cheaper night rate.
MG did not respond to that system. Had followed instructions in handbook regarding locking vehicle etc.
Is there a way around this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have to respond to my own query. MG ZS EV !
(Where the SX came from no idea. Another Senior moment!)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bought new last Tuesday, exchanged i3, needed more legroom!
Charged i3 at night from 13 amp socket via timer to take advantage of cheaper night rate.
MG did not respond to that system. Had followed instructions in handbook regarding locking vehicle etc.
Is there a way around this problem?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are you using the MG granny charger that came with the car? I have heard that your car should have had an update done which allows the car to have delayed charging so it should work.

Have you tried plugging the car in to the 13 amp socket and letting the charger work straight away, at least this would show that the house circuitry and the MG charger are working and that it's possibly an issue with delayed charging?

If it works when you do not use the timer then you will need to contact your dealer and have them check that the BMS (battery management system) update from the 20th January has been installed in your car.

Unfortunately there is no way for an owner to check this from their infortainment system as it requires an MG dealer to check this.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I have left the car charging at the moment, with the granny charger.
Will check with the closest dealer to see if they would help me. they are half the distance from the seller for me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thank you for the information. I have left the car charging at the moment, with the granny charger.
Will check with the closest dealer to see if they would help me. they are half the distance from the seller for me.
If the car is charging then it is likely that the BMS update either hasn't been carried out or was not done correctly.

It has been a bit hit and miss with these types of updates as the MG dealers have been expecting the cars to have been shipped out from BCA at Bristol docks with the updates already done but have been caught unawares when owners complain.

Any major software update is normally classified as a service action so is covered by warranty which means that any MG dealer can carry out the work.

Cheers..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have emailed MG to see if they can cast any light on the subject. Dealership thought that the correct avenue!
My update!
Left car being charged, I thought, with charging light flashing on the granny charger for 1 hour.
No increase shown on car mileage. No power used shown on home meter
Have now left it charging? with car unlocked and steady green light on granny charger
After 1 hour found car locked. Used 3 kilowatts and also increased available milage to 111 from 103
Will try same procedure tomorrow with timer employed.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Have emailed MG to see if they can cast any light on the subject. Dealership thought that the correct avenue!
My update!
Left car being charged, I thought, with charging light flashing on the granny charger for 1 hour.
No increase shown on car mileage. No power used shown on home meter
Have now left it charging? with car unlocked and steady green light on granny charger
After 1 hour found car locked. Used 3 kilowatts and also increased available milage to 111 from 103
Will try same procedure tomorrow with timer employed.
That is strange, your contract is with the dealer and not with MG Motor Uk directly. They would have needed to verify that the update was performed during the PDI but it sounds like that they haven't done that.

Is there any chance of naming the dealer?

Cheers..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks as though it has been sorted. I tried this morning with car open and timer activated.
After the timer turned on at 13 amp socket the car closed and it started charging.
Will try with a longer delay tonight for all night cheap rate charge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts