MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have MG Zs Auto 1.0 Turbo, 19 plate. I was involved in a minor rear shunt, the body repairer replaced the rear bumper, purely cosmetic. When I picked the car up I noticed a misfire, most noticeable above 50 mph. I contacted the dealer who said I should go back to the body repairer and check it out with them, it was probably something they had done. In the meantime the dealer carried out the usual software updates and changed an exhaust temperature sensor. To no avail, the car was still faulty.

Therefore I did what the dealer recommended and went back to the body repair shop. The repair shop put their own diagnostic on the car, it returned a fault code B1a63 Fuel Control Module Error. They let me have a screenshot of the code and error description and reiterated they would not have been near any sensors as this was only a cosmetic bumper repair.

The dealer Service Manager wasn’t interested, said that the diagnostic supplied by the repair shop does not apply to MG as they are generic codes applying to such as Ford and Volkswagen but not, apparently, MG. Further, that MG ZS’s do not have Fuel Control Modules.
Any body technically minded out there who can tell me whether the dealer may be correct? I have a suspicious feeling they just don’t want to put their head under the bonnet to try and diagnose the problem. Logic would tell me that a misfire may well be due to a fuel injection problem.

Thanks.

· Registered
MG ZS Excite 1.0 Turbo Auto
25 Posts
I see you've had experience of the GPF misfire "characteristic", so I take it this misfire feels different? Is there another MG dealer within reasonable distance so you can get a second opinion? Was there any damage to the exhaust system / rear silencer caused by the shunt?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I did think the misfire was different as it’s every time I go over 60, at which point the car feels like it’s had the guts taken out of it with a lack of power and hesitation. The original one was intermittent and disappeared after the car dropped into limp mode and the ECU was updated. I never had the problem back after that.

No damage was done to the exhaust, the Repair Shop pointed out just how far away the bumper was fro the exhaust area.

I’ve just spoken to another Service Manager manager who confirms that Fuel Control Modules don’t exist on my car and it’s all done through the ECU.

Looks like another war of attrition is on the cards. Problem is that no MG codes ever exist for the fault and there is no engine warning light coming on.

I certainly won’t be putting myself through this with another car.

· Registered
MG ZS Excite 1.0 Turbo Auto
25 Posts
Thanks for the update. I agree the GPF regen misfire tends to be between 40 - 50mph so unlikely in your case. I've learnt to live with the ZS "characteristics", mainly because I fear any new car with a GPF and over-complex (buggy) software etc. would annoy me just as much - I miss the simplicity of cars I owned previously!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts