MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way of softening up the suspension on my newly-acquired '04 ZS 120? It's either that or start scouring the yellow pages for my nearest chiropractor. Up to two weeks ago I'd had some 30 years of reasonably comfortable rides in a succession of Toyotas and Nissans (Corollas, Carinas, Celicas and lastly a Primera 2.0 SRi), so now I'm wondering whether the joggly, twitchy and generally uncomfortable ride of the ZS can be modified in some way.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
tradman said:
Is there any way of softening up the suspension on my newly-acquired '04 ZS 120? It's either that or start scouring the yellow pages for my nearest chiropractor. Up to two weeks ago I'd had some 30 years of reasonably comfortable rides in a succession of Toyotas and Nissans (Corollas, Carinas, Celicas and lastly a Primera 2.0 SRi), so now I'm wondering whether the joggly, twitchy and generally uncomfortable ride of the ZS can be modified in some way.
You'd need to fit the springs and dampers off a 45.
The 03 45 models are based on the ZS but softer. The damping is spot on and the ride firm* but comfortable. The totally vice free handling is superb - 90% of a ZS' I'd think.

You might getaway with just changing the springs though.

* Its definitely biased towards sporting compared to the limousine like ride of the 400.
Its also lower by 25mm, has lighter steering, quicker turn-in, is better damped and suffers from less understeer than the pre 03 45s. A good compromise and an enjoyable drivers car.

So probably worth the effort if it makes your ZS more enjoyable. Otherwise, sell it and buy an Impression S!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The ZS is a sports model, it's designed to be thrown round corners very quickly without putting you in a hedge. It's something the ZS does very well, unfortunately as with any other car like this the downside is a rough ride over uneven ground.
As mentioned fitting 45 springs and shocks will give you a more comfortable ride but you will spoil the cars characteristics as being a bit of a drivers car.
If it's too harsh for you then you may be better off selling it and getting a 45.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Its a pity MGR didn't offer the ZS with 45's suspension as an option.

I'd have certainly bought one, instead the closest I could get was an Impression S. It was indeed the ride quality which put me off.

MGR's marketing is full of missed opportunities and bad decisions* - which is no doubt why they are in their current predicament.

* the cost cutting measures in 2003 were a big mistake.
They should have improved the quality, specs and performance (eg by giving all but the entry level diesels the 115ps upgrade) to attract buyers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Felt the same about the ride quality of my ZR,found after 2 weeks the dealer had put the tyre pressures at 34psi,dropped down to the recommended 28psi and it has transformed the ride quality.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ZS Ride quality

I though you could get sports on not suspension on the ZS anyway? Loads of people found the ride too hard. Guess you have to ask for it as it's not mention in the price list

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I don't find the ZS ride quality that bad, sure it is firm but it's not as bad as the ZR.

Just remember how good it is every time you take a corner! Sometimes it's easy to say how bad the ride is on a sporty car but remember you'd feel the bumps on a standard car too, my dad drives a R45 and the bumps are still there, just the handling is rubbish!!

G

·
tradman said:
Congratulation on your purchase of a new ZS! However I don't quite understand why people complaining about the stiff ride of the ZS and not purchase a Rover 45 instead. Sports saloon/car will always come with stiff suspensions to improve the handling for going round corners. If limo style travelling is required then a Rover 45 is definitely a better choice.

Sports ride = MGZR, ZS, ZT, MGTF
Luxurious ride = Rover 25, 45, 75

Happy Motoring :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
just come back from Nottingham to Grantham via the B-roads of the Vale of Belvoir in my ZS180,with the missus,me big grin ear to ear on these roads,she-fillings rattling ,trying to read a mag (silly woman!) arrived home afew mins .Me ,fat lip she grinning ear to ear! not taking her out for a while!

·
Registered
mg_zs
98 Posts
Having had a 400 and now a ZS, I have no complaints about the ride quality of the ZS. I often do long journeys ( 6 - 8 hours ) and actually find the ZS seats more supportive and comfortable. And of course the handling is superb :)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
foflynn said:
Having had a 400 and now a ZS, I have no complaints about the ride quality of the ZS. I often do long journeys ( 6 - 8 hours ) and actually find the ZS seats more supportive and comfortable. And of course the handling is superb :)
I would back this up too, the ZS seats and driving position I think are perfect. My last car (one of those Hyundai Coupe's) caused all sorts of discomfort on a long trip. The ZS is great.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Its academic now, but I think MGR missed (another) opportunity by not offering a softer ZS.

There were plenty of buyers for whom the 45's ride and handling would have been fine, but who would have opted for the sportier looks, interior and better seats of the ZS had they had the choice.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I had a ZT with the original harder suspension... and changed to a ZS recently. Can't see what all the complaining is about to be honest. Last time I looked, if you bought a Scooby.. or Seat Cupra R etc etc.. you got the sports suspension, and that was that...

If the company had provided an option of buying a ZS with 45 suspension, then people would have accused them of selling out... so they couldn't win really, could they.

Andy.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
gorrieman said:
If the company had provided an option of buying a ZS with 45 suspension, then people would have accused them of selling out... so they couldn't win really, could they.

Andy.
Why?

We don't all live in areas with smooth well maintained roads!

Equally some owners prefer the styling of the MGs over the 45, but aren't that bothered about the ultimate in handling provided by the firm ride.

Obviously, the ZS180 needs the firmer settings, but I can see no adverse reason for not having offered the 110/120 models with a softer setup.

As Tesco's have proved, you can maximise sales by offering the widest choice at the right price, thus catering for ALL potential customers.
If they didn't, customers would go elsewhere - just like they did when MGR got their model range, specs, prices and marketing wrong.....

I rest my case!

·
Registered
mg_zs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greed said:
How many miles has it done ?

Mine was harsh till it had covered about 7000 miles now its just right
Good point, Greed. It's only done just over 5K. I guess I'll just have to be patient and either see if it improves, or simply sit back, shut up, and enjoy the handling.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I rest my case!
I don't want this to sound like a ZS v 45 .... or MG v Rover debate here, but I am always getting my car referred to as a Rover. It was the same when I had my ZT... and the wifes ZR.

Would you call a Lotus Carlton a Vauxhall... (OK...it's in a different league)

I suppose you could call me an idealist if you want... I was a firm believer that the MG brand was diluted by offering the lesser powered models anyway. They should have offered sportier looking 45's rather than underpowered Zeds... that way, the people that didn't want the 'sporty' ride didn't have to buy the 'sporty' brand. Instead they could have bought a bodykitted 25/45/75... and left the performance models as MG's.

They got the ZT right to start off with... 2 variants of the KV6, if they had left them as the entry models and followed up with the V8's, then the brand would still carry a lot of meaning with non-enthusiasts. As it is, they sold out in order to get fleet business, introduced diesels and N/A 1.8's.... and lost their way.

The market would have still been there for the cars, but with a Rover badge on them. It's all irrelevant now anyway.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
gorrieman said:
I don't want this to sound like a ZS v 45 .... or MG v Rover debate here, but I am always getting my car referred to as a Rover. It was the same when I had my ZT... and the wifes ZR.

Would you call a Lotus Carlton a Vauxhall... (OK...it's in a different league)

I suppose you could call me an idealist if you want... I was a firm believer that the MG brand was diluted by offering the lesser powered models anyway. They should have offered sportier looking 45's rather than underpowered Zeds... that way, the people that didn't want the 'sporty' ride didn't have to buy the 'sporty' brand. Instead they could have bought a bodykitted 25/45/75... and left the performance models as MG's.

They got the ZT right to start off with... 2 variants of the KV6, if they had left them as the entry models and followed up with the V8's, then the brand would still carry a lot of meaning with non-enthusiasts. As it is, they sold out in order to get fleet business, introduced diesels and N/A 1.8's.... and lost their way.

The market would have still been there for the cars, but with a Rover badge on them. It's all irrelevant now anyway.

Andy.
A few interesting points.

My car gets referred to as a rover too, cwhich is daft considering it's XPower Grey, has a wild bodykit and side vents, and is covered in MG badges. Not a bit of chrome in sight!!!

I agree that the Rover brand suffered at the hands of the MG brand on looks etc, but you shouldn't write off the lower powered MG's the ZR 105 was pretty much the company's best selling car. I couldn't agree more about the ZT120 though, that car should never have been conceived.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts