MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, got a mg zs 120 2002, had it 5 months love it 1st mg/rover ever had. looking to add some mods, can any1 recommend exhaust filter etc and which 1s works best with this motor, cheers all

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Can't say much for exhaust, but the filter that works best with the car is the standard one.

Aftermarket filters will not give you any extra as the standard box is already optimum. You could replace with an ITG or K&N panel filter to give yourself some longer life, but you won't get any performance increases, and will more likely see decreases more than anything.

Only the 180 will get anything out of an aftermarket filter, and even then the gains aren't massive.

·
Registered
436 Posts
OE filters will not give you any extra as the standard box is already optimum. You could replace with an ITG or K&N panel filter to give yourself some longer life, but you won't get any performance increases, and will more likely see decreases more than anything.

Only the 180 will get anything out of an aftermarket filter, and even then the gains aren't massive.
I think your just plain wrong. Where you said 'OE' do you mean aftermarket?:confused:. The K&N pannel filter improves the air flow and will have a small benefit on perfrmance. Cone filters without a cold air feed will of course hamper performace. An induction kit with a modified cold air intake will be superior to the current set up. The standard airbox is far from optimum. Sucking air from beside the battery? Both the 120 & 180 will benefit from air intake mods.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm merely going by what the people on xpowerforums say - and I'm inclined to believe them.

And yes I did mean aftermarket, don't know why I put OE

I think what I've heard the most is that the only induction kits worth considering are the BMC CDA and the ITG Maxogen kits, both of which cost over £150 and will only net you 1 or 2 BHP realistically on a 120 (and 6-7 on a 180 I think is what it was).

And the simple fact is that 1 or 2 BHP isn't a lot. It's less than 1% performance gain. Is it really worth the money?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The theory is yes. As it's an open cone like that, it's subject to getting quite warm via the heat put out from the engine. To see what I mean go for a half hour drive and then open your bonnet and feel the heat coming out of your engine. Now imagine it with the bonnet closed...and then imagine it soaking into the filter all the time.

Any air that gets sucked into the filter is going to get warmed up. Warmer air occupies much more space than cold air, and so less will get into your engine at any one time than with cold air, as such suffocating the engine slightly.

What should be used is a closed filter with a cold air feed attached from the front of the car, thereby sending cold air directly to the filter, which is enclosed and so wont absorb quite so much heat.

Even then, with all of the above aside, the filter would need to be less restrictive than the original one, and in a lot of cars cases, the standard setup is usually fine (though relocating the cold air feed for it can often lead to some small gains)

One of the reasons why the 180 will get more benefit over the 120 is that the 180 has a resonator box in line with the air filter, which is also restrictive. When a full enclosed kit is installed, this resonator box is removed, helping to increase airflow.

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
hi all, got a mg zs 120 2002, had it 5 months love it 1st mg/rover ever had. looking to add some mods, can any1 recommend exhaust filter etc and which 1s works best with this motor, cheers all
Welcome To Mg Ownership mate,

well on mine i had a Custom Made Twin Exit Powerflow Exhaust twinned with a Pipercross Induction Kit.

Im not sure if it made any difference but it did sound nice and it did feel quick to 50mph

You wont find much on the market for aftermarket exhausts for the ZS, probably those crappy Savage one's but thats about it, If i were you id have one custom made so you no its going to fit and not fall of :lol:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Haha it's nothing to worry about per se, but it's more likely to be stealing performance instead of giving it.

Again, the K&N enclosed one is likely to be better as it is enclosed and has a cold air feed, but it's not going to be much better. Worst case scenario is that it works as well as the standard airbox but with that nice induction growl that you get.

That's the only reason I had a Pipercross filter on my old 214. Made it sound ANGRY! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts