MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My 2001 ZR160 has started idling high every so often. this happens when the engine is up to temperature and istead of ideling at around 900 she has started idling at around 1500 - 2000. she's not doing it all the time just every so often. sometimes it tried to slow its ideling and either cuts out or jumps back up to 1500 -2000. like i say most of the time she's fine and idles fine at 900 then other times it does this. There are no warning lights comming on and sometimes the problem can be fixed by stopping and starting the engine (but not all the time) Any ideas or anyone had similar problems? Header tank is fine and she is not using water or anything
(i have cleaned the air cleaner and changed the fuel filter too)
thanks all
Leanne xx

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,730 Posts
could be many things, a good start would be to get any fault codes checked, should take a competent person 10mins with a code reader. You can buy laptop software and cable yourself for about £100.
Could be throttle switch, stepper motor, ecu, maybe sticky throttle or wiring fault. Probably stepper motor or ecu.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Try this first:

the way to do it is turn the ignition off then turn it to 2nd set before the engine turns. then depress the accelerator fully and back up again. do these five times in sequence not too fast. wait 15-20 seconds then turn off the ignition and start up the engine.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
My BRM does the same as you are describing. It's been on several diagnostic machines and no faults have been found. The throttle body and most sensors have been replaced to no avail. Sometimes it idles a 2500rpm! I just have to live with it, but it is annoying.

Kev.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my throttle body is plastic?? would this be the cause of something (shouldnt i have a metal one as standard?) also there is an after market air filter on it (was there when i bought the car)
Leanne xx

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
I think my throttle body is plastic?? would this be the cause of something (shouldnt i have a metal one as standard?) also there is an after market air filter on it (was there when i bought the car)
Leanne xx
Mine's plastic as well. The only problem with them is that they are more prone to sticking than the alloy one. You could change it to the alloy one, it's not a difficuly swap :)

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Leanne xx
Hmmm, I don't think it's a plastic one chick, the ZR160 used the throphy body, 52mm Alloy. If you have look at the guide I wrote here, your TB should look like one of these.
The aftermarket air filter, what make is it? Any markings? Make sure everything leading back to the throttle body is on nice and tight. It might be worth trying to sort a standard airbox etc.
You could try re-setting the throttle pot as well as someone else has suggested.

HTH :minxy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all
Thanks for the replies, After looking it turns out my TB is the alloy one ooopps. anyway driving home last night my car was doing the usual idling high all the way home, so when i got home i did that procedure for resetting the TPS, by turning the key and pushing the pedal 5 times and then restarting - the result? my car instantly started idling perfect again!
So seeing how this worked, what does it mean? is my TPS on the way out or is there somthing else?
Thanks
Leanne xxxx

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,730 Posts
not sure that the 'reset' is for the tps, the ecu should learn the tps voltage limits automatically. I always thought that the 'reset' procedure tells the ecu to re-reference the stepper motor?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
No, it has always mistakingly been assumed that the procedure is for the Idle Air Valve (stepper motor), it is actually for the TPS, it forces the ECU to learn the upper and lower limits of the potentiometer travel.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You know its the TPS so wait to see if it starts again. could be that the connections are sending false signals. Take a look to see if there clean and free from dirt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts