MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MG ZR 160 Stolen + recovered - birmingham area

Hi

My mate had his 03 MG ZR 160 stolen a few days ago from outside his house. The police have now found it dumped in a park in birmingham, but its been stripped. Would the insurance company class this as a write off or would they try and repair it. What is the amount they get to when they decide its not worth repairing? The following has been stripped:

front headlights x 2
fron bumper
front wings x 2
bonnet
side skirts x 2
rear bumper
rear lights x 2
wheels x 4
spoiler
side repeaters
interior seats- front+rear
steering wheel
cd player
+
the car has been left on its disks so i guess they would need replacing as well.

cheers
rob

It was found next to a MG TF in a similer state so it looks like MGs are being targeted round here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,157 Posts
Crikey, that is stripped! :yikes:

As Schtopper says I would have thought repairing it would be in excess of half the value of the car, which is how they work it, IIRC...

Seems to me someone's got a 200 they want to make a Zed replica with... B'stards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they also took his pipercross air filter and his ecu. would the ecu work in another car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,157 Posts
I thought the ECU and the flywheel were mapped or something... Was the piper-x on the policy..? If not, it might be a blessing that they took it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg said:
I thought the ECU and the flywheel were mapped or something... Was the piper-x on the policy..? If not, it might be a blessing that they took it...
i was thinking something similar about the ecu. i didnt think they were compatible with other cars because of the imobileiser or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Greg said:
Crikey, that is stripped! :yikes:

As Schtopper says I would have thought repairing it would be in excess of half the value of the car, which is how they work it, IIRC...
not quite true from my experience when my 45 was reshelled last year the repair bill was 3 quarters the cars value
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
Sheesh that's been stripped more than last year's Xmas turkey! Can't see the insurance company fixing it as basically all the barstewards have left is the metal shell. Did they leave anything on it that would suggest to Joe Public that the car was an MG to begin with? Maybe best if it didn't. If I'd seen 2 MGs in that state I think the security failures would have put me off buying one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,002 Posts
is it still in the park i need some 160 breaks ;)

yeah they get trageted in brum a lot give it a month and a nother replica will aprea on ebay.

im supried they left the disks/calipers ect as they would get some cash for them too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,679 Posts
Greg said:
Seems to me someone's got a 200 they want to make a Zed replica with... B'stards!
Should think there's just a ready demand for these parts generally, not just for people modifying their cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,157 Posts
Yeh, agreed some parts will go faster than others but you don't want to be putting a huge list of parts on ebay completely matching the list of parts removed (in the same colour, oddly enough) from a stolen car...

I'm not saying that's not what's happened, but I am saying that I think its much more likely that it was stripped 'on demand' as such... What I was curious about was the front wings - I came to the conclusion that they were taken in order to facilitate a front end conversion. After all, the doors weren't taken, the electric windows weren't taken, the TB (I'm assuming) wasn't taken - these are parts that would sell very easily.

Aaaaaaah... I've typed all this out and then just read the bit about the TF... Hmmm... Bit too much of a coincidence for my theory after all... Arrrrrse. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,002 Posts
king arthur said:
Should think there's just a ready demand for these parts generally, not just for people modifying their cars.
trust me that in brum that level of removel will be for a replica i know pepole who know pepole that do it it will go for £2.5K, a sad state of afares but the cops have no chance of proveing anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,355 Posts
I think reason why they left the disks on, probably because either they just want to get the parts off as soon as possible, or just didn't know that they'd fit. A new shell for an MG ZR is actually worth quite a bit brand new, so they may possibly re-do it, basically un-economical to repair is when the repair bill is 80-90% or over the value of the car.
 

·
Registered
other_rover
Joined
·
226 Posts
ehm, id hazard a guess the ECU wasnt nicked, but replaced weith an "unlocked" or plug compatible aftermarket unit in order to steal the car. your mate may even find the origional ECU lying near where the car was recovered.

The mems ecu and 5as are absolutel thief-proof imho. Iv been trying to get round teh 5as for a month or so now, with no sucess so have had to include it in my minis loom.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
79,177 Posts
evolotion said:
The mems ecu and 5as are absolutel thief-proof imho. Iv been trying to get round teh 5as for a month or so now, with no sucess so have had to include it in my minis loom.

POST OF THE WEEK! Very true - You won't get past the 5AS and MEMS Security. It's that simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,002 Posts
evolotion said:
ehm, id hazard a guess the ECU wasnt nicked, but replaced weith an "unlocked" or plug compatible aftermarket unit in order to steal the car. your mate may even find the origional ECU lying near where the car was recovered.

The mems ecu and 5as are absolutel thief-proof imho. Iv been trying to get round teh 5as for a month or so now, with no sucess so have had to include it in my minis loom.
yep they have a way of catching the bonet swich stop it from opening then they just swich the ecus ect for ones they have keys for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,355 Posts
I bet best people who have all them parts at hand, ecu's and keys etc are scrappies, wonder how many dodgy ones there are that do this kinda thing or sell to people that do.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top