MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG ZR starting problem.

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  touche 
#1 ·
Hi all
I have recently acquired a 2005 Rover MG ZR and have an intermittent problem with starting it. Sometimes it will start immediately but most of the time when I turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. I have to retry four or five times before it eventually starts.

I thought maybe it is a problem with the immobiliser - Is there any way of knowing whether or not the engine is currently immobilised? The manual states that it will not work correctly if both key fobs are in the car at the same time so I have left one of these in the house but I get the same problem with either key. I have also tried replacing the battery in the key fob but this has made no difference.

Any thoughts ??

Regards

Mark

#3 ·
ZR starting problem

Thanks for the reply. Do you know whether it is possible to do anything about it or is this something I will have to live with. If so, any tips for starting the car? It's embarrassing when it stalls and I can't get it started.

Regards

Mark

#4 ·
It may be the sender wire to the starter motor. Its red, and its the thinner one of the two. try removing it, cleaning up the terminals with some wire wool/sand paper and put it back.

This has also been a know cause of this problem. It happens on my mums ZR too.

Craig

#7 ·
ZR Starting problem

...I'm still trying to work out whether this is a problem with the immobiliser. Am I correct in thinking that if the Alarm LED has stopped flashing, the immobiliser has been deactivated? Also, for five minutes or so after attempting to start the car, there is a high frequency but low volume (it's barely audible and you can't hear it if the bonnet is down) tone coming from the centre of the engine. Could this be related?

Craig's suggestion of a bad connection on the starter motor also sounds plausible. At the risk of sounding a bit thick, where is the starter motor ??

Regards

Mark

#9 ·
ZR starting problem

I haven't needed to try bump starting it because it normally starts after half a dozen or so attempts. I can give it a go though if that would help diagnose the problem. If it bump starts but doesn't start with the key, would that rule out a problem with the immobiliser??

#11 ·
starter

there is a large spade type connection to the starter that has a plastic shield around it. They are cr*p and come loose. it most likely 'wiggles about'. take it off, tweak with some pliers and put it back on, it should be tight and your car should start. This problem is the only thing thats ever stopped my 160 starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.