MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
A fair review really. A car as old as the Rover 25/ZR is unlikely to perform any miracles. It is still a good car compared with some of its rivals mind you and sales have reflected this.

Its just makes the wait for the new car more exciting though really...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disagree with their comment about the 'equipment' "Can't match the best rivals" I presume this was before the introduction of the new Trophy SE models. I'd say the new trophy models whip anything else on the market in respect to value for money.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Its the lack of adjustability that they are talking about. I think overall for a 10 year old car with even older underpinnings, its a fair review...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
No-one can expect them to not find fault and it would be wrong not to, but even so it's a stingy review for the UK's best selling hot hatch :bgrin2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Might go where?

The ZR105 is at best warm, the ZR120 is pretty damn mild, in the company of Saxo VTR, Fiesta Zetec etc.

I will admit to owning a dull and boring Rover 25 1.6iS, but it will beat all standard 1.6s of a similar size from ALL major manufactuers.

The ZR 160 is a true hot hatch, in the same company as the Clio 182, Focus ST170 etc.

Bring it on!!!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ZR Review

That doesn't seem like they've updated the review, I found the driving position of the new model much improved over my MK1 - the new pedals are a joy!

Other than that I think that is a pretty honest review

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rw9zt said:
Might go where?

The ZR105 is at best warm, the ZR120 is pretty damn mild, in the company of Saxo VTR, Fiesta Zetec etc.

I will admit to owning a dull and boring Rover 25 1.6iS, but it will beat all standard 1.6s of a similar size from ALL major manufactuers.

The ZR 160 is a true hot hatch, in the same company as the Clio 182, Focus ST170 etc.

Bring it on!!!!!
Please tell me if I have missunderstood your comment...but if you are claiming the ZR 120 is mild in comparison to a VTR I would have to disagree. A standard 120 does 0-60 in 8.6 secs while a VTR trails in at 9.7 secs for 0-60. You do the maths!

A saxo VTS is a different matter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A little bit puzzled by the claims of huge drops in resale value - given the fact that they are available at near give-away prices in the first place.

The 105 is available new from £7995 OTR - so it would be expected that a s/h version will obviously be worth less - but how much money can you possibly lose given such a low starting price?

If it were a fifty grand car - then you could talk about depreciation, but most 105's seem to still hold up in excess of five grand, even the ones that are now coming up for three years old.

I wouldn't call that a huge drop.

I am also puzzled by the "bad driving postion". I don't find it particularly uncomfortable BUT Its just a cheap car FFS. What do you expect?

8K is not gonna buy multi adjustable seats/steering and air bags in every orifice. I also have an 18K Vectra - that is better equipped but cost almost 2 and a quarter times as much. I still prefer driving the ZR

What you do get with the ZR, is a car that looks pretty good, goes pretty well and handles pretty well, all for a bargain price.

Given the fact it was the top selling small hatch last year - it also sells pretty well.

Or maybe all the thousands of buyers that bought one were wrong.......................

Journo's - they are spoilt to death. Unless its a supercar and costs around 100K they are never happy.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
They also mentioned its high emissions, who cares about that? no one if its sales performance is anything to go by. I couldn't give a stuff, if I did, I'd ride a bike and join Greenpeace.
Kev.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I think its probably because they are sick of reviewing the same car year on year with different bits of plastic stuck on and given a new name. Not a jab, but I know I would...

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I fit in it (Im 6' 3") and its quiet enough on the motorway, I may downsize from the ZTT to a new shape ZR in the next few months to save on payments and fuel, and one of the things that attracts me to it is the low price, good resale demand and equipment levels, especially the trophy SE!

Surely this puts the validity of the WhatCar roadtest in question, and I might add that of all the cars Ive owned, I very rarely find myself agreeing with any roadtest by whatcar, who seem to prize characterless utility over all else (witness the killjoy review they have of the ZT260, whereas almost every other review raves about it).

Any opinions on whether unnecessarily tall people fit in ZRs?

Regards

Wilko

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
generally its quite fair, but the biggest issue i have is that its not that far behind some of its competitors for the driving experience and the VFM. Some of its rivals are less spacious, the Clio for example is one. I Also think its better built than some rivals like the Punto HGT for one. I think the biggest point is that the ZR feels far better to drive than a fair few of its rivals, and this does go some way towards making up for the poor practicality, driving position and residual values etc. Its nicer to drive than to live with, but id rarther have that, than a car that was very good to own in terms of costs, and residuals but a dull as dishwater to drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No this reviewer is talking utter ****!

"And the 158 horse power version could be described as generally quick" haha Ok so they got the Journo who usually reviews the Supercars to do this one.
Generally quick, I have the 160 version and it scares the living daylights out of me. One quick push of the pedal and you can be doing 90 in no time.

I use my ZR for travelling to work (A round trip of 40 miles) and it is perfect a little thirsty when given some whallop but a comfortable ride.

Its honest, It isn't a disguised car from 10 years ago IT IS a car from 10 years ago! The redesigns have happened to the engine and the setup of the car.

Pffftt is it a national sport to dump on the British car industry? What next the Nobel described as Lacklusture.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts