MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Mg ZR and have had it since new from August 2004. Just when it achieved 20000 miles the exhaust went. Can anyone advise the life expectancy of these original exhausts . The garage I purchased it from has closed and am trying to recover the replacement costs from Capital Bank ( financers). The problem is no face to face discussion. My wife has a 5 year old Rover 25 which has had no exhaust problems. The Capital bank says exhaust went under "fair wear and tear". Anyone else had a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The guarantee from new would have been 12 months on the exhaust under warranty.

Sorry to say it, but you don't have a leg to stand on reclaiming anything. Worth a try I guess, but it will most likely get thrown out.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There not the best quality mine went after 3 years & it doesn't do a lot of stop/start journeys.Bin the standard one & get a stainless steel version,last for life.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I own an Mg ZR and have had it since new from August 2004. Just when it achieved 20000 miles the exhaust went. Capital Bank says exhaust went under "fair wear and tear".
It depends on the types of journey its subjected to, very short ones and the condensation build-up (that never gets burnt off) rots it from the inside-out.

I'd consider the age to be a more important metric than the mileage.

I'd say three year's useage is about right - I can remember my old's had a car fail its first MOT becuase of the exhaust, and indeed the 75 they've recently sold was starting to blow heavily after three years too (hence selling it prior to needing an MOT).

I wish you luck, but I don't think you've a leg to stand on, sorry.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine went in 2.5 years and after 67k, my comute is 35 miles each way and the rest of the journeys are 10 miles or more so it gets a chance to dry out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts