MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've got a friend whos had a poor run of luck of late, so I agreed to help him out with his car.. He owns an MG ZR 1.4, which recently did a head gasket
The RAC towed it to his local garage who phoned him the next day and told him it would be circa £600 to fix. Later that day, when they had the head off they found that there was a problem with a piston and they told him it wasn't worth fixing, and that he should have a new engine put in..

Is it worth him getting another opinion? Other than the engine problems this car is in very good condition.. I believe it's an 02 reg with 82k on the clock.. Would he get much selling it as a rolling shell/non runner?

I will get some more info up in the correct section if he does decide to sell it on, but if anyone would like any more details please feel free to PM me.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
It is possible to pick up a perfectly sound 1.4 K-series engine for relatively little money, or a 1.8 come to that. My son has obtained examples of both recently for relatively little money. However, as a member of several car enthusiast groups and web sites he does have a range of useful contacts.

In your friend's position, a patient search of ebay and the web should turn up a suitable engine ~ best to find a complete and cheap donor car as at least that can be driven to assess the engine. For a competent workshop, it is not a big job for them to swap engines and should NOT be expensive if you shop around. If he needs transport in the meantime, buy a banger with some tax and Mot from the local classifieds for use whilst the ZR is being repaired.

The rolling shell alternative will mean less work but, expect a loss with that, plus the cost of obtaining a decent replacement car.

Finally, ask to see the extent of damage to the car ~ best to do that and a second opinion from someone who knows these cars would be a wise move too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the info.. Could you give a fair price for a K-Series engine? And also a very rough guide as to how much he could expect if he sold it in it's current condition..

I know the lack of detail doesn't help, but for all he knows people could be plucking figures out the air - i.e someone offered him £200 for the car - as is.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Dont know how much the car is worth broken but the K series engine has been around since 1989 so shouldnt have a problem finding a cheap car with a good engine in or even just the engine for cheap

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
K series engines can be had for as little as £100. Seen many low mileage examples for around £200-£300. Another £250-£350 for fitting.
Some places will give you an all in one price for sourcing the engine and the fitting.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-Rover-1600...ryZ10414QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This one would need a few of the parts from the original engine swapping over:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-1-4-16v...ryZ10414QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In any case a damaged piston isn't the end of the engine.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Of course, have the engine re-built by the garage assuming they're a good bunch and it's probably less of a worry than an unknown. I mean, if for £600 you're getting the piston, head gasket, belts and pump, that's probably not too bad?? At any rate, if the figures ashy quotes are accurate, it might be worth it. Really depends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting.. Unfortunately the £600 quote was after the HG went went - so I'm assuming all you get for that is a new HG kit, skimmed head and labour! My friend said they quoted something like £2k for a new engine and labour..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly, he's had trouble with this garage before when he took a diesel van in after it broke down.. Believe it or not, that needed a new engine too :rolleyes: .. I wonder if it would be worth trying to find a local enthusiast to take on the job, rather than a garage..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts