MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
In a word, yes.

If you haven't already got a new shape 25/zr, then you will need to do something with the boot locking mechanism. This is because the new 25/zr boot lid has no button on the outside, so you will need to devise a way of opening it.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
is there not a solenoid you can build, creating a boot release cable and mechanism , im sure people have done this and you can buuy kits, as lots of people have smoothed boot lids.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yes you can do it. Its not difficult, but it would be rather embarrassing to not do it and close the MkII bootlid.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think a lot of 90s onwards Fords used solenoids to open the boots with a release button on the dashboard, so worth checking a few out in your local scrapyard. Alternatively, you could use the cable set up from an R8 type rover 200, 600 or 800, these all have the release levers fitted in the driver's side footwell, you could even utilise the remote release for the fuel filler flap aswell! very cool! and being as they're all bigger cars, you would have plenty of cable to play around with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wouldn't the boot lid already have the solinoid inside it ?,just try and get the rest of the loom/cables to go with it from the car it comes from.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
wouldn't the boot lid already have the solinoid inside it ?,just try and get the rest of the loom/cables to go with it from the car it comes from.
good point really! does depend on how the boot release is activated in the last revision 25s/ZRs though to be honest, these I don't know a lot about. Didn't the last of this platform have Ford gearboxes?! that shocked me a fair bit! not sure why! :D

you could easily make up the loom neccessary though in any case.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
good point really! does depend on how the boot release is activated in the last revision 25s/ZRs though to be honest, these I don't know a lot about. Didn't the last of this platform have Ford gearboxes?! that shocked me a fair bit! not sure why! :D
Its opened via an addtional button on the (new style) keyfob.

I was wondering the exact same thing about the g/box the other day - why on earth had they suddenly turned away from their own units...unless of course this was the first step (i.e. linkages, etc.) towards the use of 6sp. boxes (or something, I'm just guessing). It is, however, a nicer 'box (IMHO).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts