MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an MG ZR 160 Van, with 44k fsh for £4k, so very pleased.

The performance and handling are very good, but I'm not impressed with the spongey brakes, can anyone point me towards a thread for brake upgrades???

I'd like them to spot be on, and be instant so any help would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know how long the clutches last on these???

It's done 44k and feels pretty at the top, I can't see it lasting over another 10k, wondering if the cable is adjustable, or if the cable dries out on these?

Thanks

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=123052

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
Sounds like a good price mate. :) Well, on the brake front, most people actually upgrade TO the Zr160 brakes, so unless you are taking it on a track they shouldn't be a problem.

Unless there is a problem :p for example the brake pads/disks/fluid need replacing or the system needs to be bled. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe they didn't use the ZR 160 car brakes in the van?! Don't know anything about that though.

About the clutch i don't really know how long they last but i just have a bubble 200 and it has been high for about 10k now. But it may be on its way out :p

Here is a thread that you may find useful though:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=58806

Hope any of this helps.

Also, leave it a bit and if you find no more help you might find it better to ask in the 'Ask the Gurus' forum. Cleverer, less mod-minded people on that one :D

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Tommi, the braks are very effective, but there seems to be a heavy foot needed,

Thanks for your help.

tommihayes said:
Sounds like a good price mate. :) Well, on the brake front, most people actually upgrade TO the Zr160 brakes, so unless you are taking it on a track they shouldn't be a problem.

Unless there is a problem :p for example the brake pads/disks/fluid need replacing or the system needs to be bled. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe they didn't use the ZR 160 car brakes in the van?! Don't know anything about that though.

About the clutch i don't really know how long they last but i just have a bubble 200 and it has been high for about 10k now. But it may be on its way out :p

Here is a thread that you may find useful though:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=58806

Hope any of this helps.

Also, leave it a bit and if you find no more help you might find it better to ask in the 'Ask the Gurus' forum. Cleverer, less mod-minded people on that one :D

Tom

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
yes, some steel braided BRAKE hoses will help, as well as flushing your fluid out with some new DOT5.1 fluid. It will help and will stiffen up the pedal :)
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my zr160 the brakes feel no where near up to the grade they should be!

I had a full EBC drilled + Groved discs fitted front and back with EBC Greenstuff pads and BFGoodridge steel braided brake hoses fitted.
I got the lot done for about £500.

The best £500 spent ever!!!

The car is sooooo much better now!

If you want I can give you all the part numbers you need.

·
Registered
281 Posts
another great brake disk and pads to consider are black diamond, won many magazine awards, i had them on my previous car and used them severly hard, and i tell u what, they were superb. standard brakes are sufficient until you start giving out hard braking punishment, then they will fade away. ive had severe brake fade on a new M3!!!! so on my turbo conversion, that is already in motion and have the stuff there! i was given, YES GIVEN!!! a set of EBC 100mile old disks so i dunno whether to stick with them or go for what i know, which is black diamond! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts