MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG ZR 2.0 Diesel - DEAD. Any ideas??

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SDI_Tim 
#1 ·
My ZR had been having 'seizures' whereby when driving along in 3rd/4th gear say, the engine started to shake (quite dramatically) and it almost felt like it was going to cut out. It happened for a few minutes, I changed gear (either up or down) and then it stopped.

It only happened a handful of times in the last couple of weeks but then my Mum borrowed it last week and it died on her. It started chugging/engine shaking and then it just cut out, completely. She got it moved over to the side of the road, tried to turn it over, and nothing. It's not the battery as all the dash lights came on and two guys even tried to jump start it but that didn't work.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what direction I should point a mechanic into??! Does it sound like a complete engine seizure, and if so, why??!!

Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks.

#3 ·
As AndBurG said, and also, are the battery connections tight, i.e. can you move them easily by hand. It could also be a broken or loose earth connection (big flat steel rope bolted under the bonnet somewhere) , but I would expect other bits to play up as well. If everything else works properly, like wipers/lights/windows/central locking etc. etc. then an earth is less likely to be the cause.

#5 ·
There is a buzz from the diesel engine, its not the fuel pump as far as I'm aware but someone else will be along to answer that one. If you can't hear the buzz it could be a power problem, it could be a dodgy fuse that has been going intermittantly and has now gone properly.

#6 ·
"the injector timing solenoid and feed quantity solenoid work with alternative electric currient,its the cause that you heard that buzzing noise"

Taken from this post: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=180605&highlight=buzz+timing

Yes the pump is mechanically driven by the belt to give it the energy to compress and pump the fuel, but it also has electronic components, as revealed above.

#7 ·
By nothing, I mean absolutely nothing at all, just one click and then a kind of one second 'kerdunk' from the engine, then nothing.

no, no buzzing noise from the fuel pump and yes, there is a clicking noise when I try to start the car (as above)

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.