MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got an MG ZR 160 16V 2005 Model which a component burnt out on the computer box. I had my car sent in as the car just would not start. The car would swing swing and then die off. Occasionally the car would start up after it's rested but immediately after it starts up it cut off.

After a few months of guys checking to see what the problem was, been into many workshops, nobody seemed to be able to sort it out. Tested out the key coding but that was fine. The fuel pump was replaced afterwards as well.

Anyway, long story cut short, I installed a dictator management in my car to override this problem (was done at a workshop) which took a while. Test drove the car a day before picking up and it was running like a beast! Everything was PERFECT. The car was road mapped. I went to pick up my car the next day only to find my management stripped out of my car along with my DVD player. So of course my car wouldn't start.

The workshop took ownership and accountability for this and they would sort the car out. The next day was lockdown. The workshop only opened a month and half later after which they tried to get a new management for my car. Took a long time but sorted it out. They installed it and tuned the car and was running. I went to test drive my car only to find that my car is jerking alot when changing in the first 3 gears. Car stayed at the workshop for a few weeks later as they couldn't seem to find the problem. I was called in again to come see the car a few weeks later, when testing my car, there was the same jerking but only on the first year changing into second.

I'm not happy about this as they know so they still have the car. The guys at the workshop contacts me a few days later to let me know that the fuel pump in my car which was installed bit it isn't working so they're looking at getting a new one for the car as the housing and float is damaged.

Could anybody possibly help or best advise me what do I do because I'm having major troubles finding one for my car. Also reading this, what do you think could be the problem here because once we get a new fuel pump installed in the car and there is still the same problem what do I do?

My major problem is that I live in South Africa (Johannesburg) and we are very limited to getting parts for this car! I'm a first time car owner!

Please could you help urgently as it's been 9 months gone and I've still got no car.

I've attached pictures of the damaged fuel pump the workshop guys sent to me and a photo of my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
mg_zr
4 Posts
Hi, I'm in Cape Town and have had my ZR for many years. Yip, parts and knowledgeable workshops are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth.

So, I think that plastic housing can be repaired with some plastic welding. The purpose of the plastic shell is to provide a housing for the pump and place for the float to pivot - if you're prepared to live without a working fuel gauge you can just replace the pump. If your ZR is anything like mine as far as fuel consumption goes, I get about 525Km town-driving on a full tank so I fill up whenever I've done about 350KM anyway.

Go to any Diesel-Electric outlet with the original pump as a sample and they will supply/find a replacement for you - I have done this.

All the best

1 - 2 of 2 Posts