MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Complete by main dealer or approved independant?

• Main Dealer

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Approved independant

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is peoples views on having the service completed by the main dealer or having it being completed by an approved independent garage.

the price is half the cost from an independent garage but the main dealer says if its not the dealer the 7 years warranty will not be valid??

is this correct or is the garage trying the scare tactics?

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi,

It is not strictly true as you can have your car serviced by a VAT registered servicing agent using MG approved parts, however the anti-perforation warranty would become void as it needs to be inspected annually.

Where having a main dealer service your vehicle can help is that in the event that something has just failed out of the warranty period. the importer MG Motor UK may try to assist with costs for its replacement as they can see that you have followed all of the servicing regime.

It's not guaranteed though.

Cheers

· Registered
2020 mg3 exclusive nav
5 Posts
I’m looking into this too. My car is due it’s 2nd service and have leads than 5000 miles on the clock and they have said it’ll be around £360 for its B service which is shockingly expensive. Is there a way to get the service indicator turned off without a diagnostic computer being used like you could a few years back with the ignition on and a few button presses??? If so my local independent garage says they could service it for my with all genuine items needed for the service at about a third of the price. Any help would be great.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ianwat23,

I have spoken to an independent garage and they say as long as I request to use genuine MG parts there is no problem. What they have said is they will give me a service report which MG don't give you and they will stamp your book. MG only register the service on their own system without stamping any book. This might be a little tricky in the future when I come to sell it, especially if I sell privately as I have no proof of the service I had this tear?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts