MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MG Zs is 18 month old and the head gasket has blown.
The cylinder head has been replaced and a new sump and gasket set fitted twice as it’s leaking oil.
So far it’s been stuck in the MG dealership’s garage for nearly 4 months!
I don’t know what to do as I’d actually like to reject the vehicle as not being fit for purpose.
Overall a very disappointing experience and mg themselves are unhelpful the customer service side of the company is useless!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear. I follow most of the Chinise MG forums, as I own an MG6. I have never heard of any head gasket problems with this engine. So, I think you must just be unlucky. The only suggestion I can make is maybe to find a more helpful dealer if you think yours not up to it. Be worth double checking how long the warrenty on the engine is. You don't want it to drag on past it running out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iv
My MG Zs is 18 month old and the head gasket has blown.
The cylinder head has been replaced and a new sump and gasket set fitted twice as it’s leaking oil.
So far it’s been stuck in the MG dealership’s garage for nearly 4 months!
I don’t know what to do as I’d actually like to reject the vehicle as not being fit for purpose.
Overall a very disappointing experience and mg themselves are unhelpful the customer service side of the company is useless!
I've got the same problem it's been in the dealer ship for 4 weeks there waiting for mg to tell them what to do they say it meets a new engine as there a gouge over the engine heads
But the car has not run well since the E10 petrol came out and the mph is terrible with E10
I try to use the expensive fuel and it's OK
Wonders its made in China is it just to on the cheap

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iv

I've got the same problem it's been in the dealer ship for 4 weeks there waiting for mg to tell them what to do they say it meets a new engine as there a gouge over the engine heads
But the car has not run well since the E10 petrol came out and the mph is terrible with E10
I try to use the expensive fuel and it's OK
Wonders its made in China is it just to on the cheap
After nearly 5 months off the road they bought the car back, basically gave me a great deal on another and that one runs great 🤞🏻
i use sainsbury’s petrol when possible as I definitely think the car runs well on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’ve got exactly the same issue. 2018 1.0 model, less than 34k miles and the cylinder head has gone. This in addition to another major failure last year with gas pressure sensors or something like that. Saying nit covered u dear warranty at 3rd service due to service not being carried out with mg parts - even though you can have the service carried out by anyone in the first 3 years! Now looking at a £3-4k bill to get it fixed, even the minor parts fitted at service have absoluteky nothing at all to do with the failure. And the service manager at the main dealer admitted that it was a fault and they had had at least 4 cars in! I will not be recommending an MG to anyone at all I’m afraid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My MG ZS (69 plate) has done 14k on the clock. The car broke down and wouldn't start back in July. It took 1 month for it to get booked in with an MG approved garage under the warranty repair scheme. The issue is with the cylinder head...going by this thread it seems like a common issue.

Wilsons MG, Epsom UK have had my car for 3 weeks now and advised me my car isn't under warranty and it'll cost me £1.4-2k just to strip down the engine (no fix).

I then found out from MG HQ that the tech team requested the cylinder head to be sent for pressure testing. They need to strip down the engine to do this - seems like they were just trying to get me to cover the costs and the information about my car not being under warranty is false.

I've been without my car for 8 weeks now, no courtesy car offer, no ETA, nothing!

Sounds like there is a real common problem with MG ZS engines and consumers are the ones paying for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My MG ZS (69 plate) has done 14k on the clock. The car broke down and wouldn't start back in July. It took 1 month for it to get booked in with an MG approved garage under the warranty repair scheme. The issue is with the cylinder head...going by this thread it seems like a common issue.

Wilsons MG, Epsom UK have had my car for 3 weeks now and advised me my car isn't under warranty and it'll cost me £1.4-2k just to strip down the engine (no fix).

I then found out from MG HQ that the tech team requested the cylinder head to be sent for pressure testing. They need to strip down the engine to do this - seems like they were just trying to get me to cover the costs and the information about my car not being under warranty is false.

I've been without my car for 8 weeks now, no courtesy car offer, no ETA, nothing!

Sounds like there is a real common problem with MG ZS engines and consumers are the ones paying for it.

I had 69 plate 13000 miles 1.0 Turbo Auto had problems starting contacted AA and after 1 hour got it going, but advised it needed new spark plugs as due to low mileage MG say change at 3 year service which AA were surprised as they said should be 2 year service. Had new spark plugs fitted but after one week of driving car failed to start. Took it to MG Brighton and after testing for 3 days and stripping engine down found the problem to be cracked head gasket. Under the MG warranty the part had to be sent to an independent company to test who report back to MG who then approve the garage to approve the repair. Took 3 weeks in all from the point of diagnosis, sending part for testing then waiting for new part to get the car back, but that was due to the excellent service from MG Brighton who kept me updated all the time on progress and provided a courtesy car for the whole period. It has not put me off as have since bought a new MG 1.0 Auto Turbo and the spec is so much better than my old one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts