MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
689 Posts
My only experience relates to no discontents at driving the TF at legal motorway speeds without a wind deflector, so I’m obviously not in any rush to buy one and drill into an original panel to fit it.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not with the one you're asking about, but with a deflector that screws into the T-bar. My 135 TF never had a deflector, my new 160 does have one. I struggle to notice a difference. I wouldn't buy one, if I had none.
Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,188 Posts
My 135 TF never had a deflector, my new 160 does have one. I struggle to notice a difference. I wouldn't buy one, if I had none.
Wind deflector makes a vast difference in the winter with the roof down, without a wind deflector you can feel the chill on the back of your neck whereas no issue with a deflector fitted. The wind deflector also makes a big difference if you or passenger has long hair. My daughters hair in my F without a deflector would blow forward big time, with a wind deflector it hardly moved.

In relation to the original OP, Not used one of those type, looks a lot like the Newtown Commercial one, also Rimmer Bros has a scan with one they sell which looks like a similar fitting.

Also, might be worth checking the following link for the only test done on wind deflectors or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My only experience relates to no discontents at driving the TF at legal motorway speeds without a wind deflector, so I’m obviously not in any rush to buy one and drill into an original panel to fit it.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Thanks, Austin2297. I too didn't want to drill to fit one. Ultimately, I have ordered one from Rimmer Bros. which uses the bolts at the ends of the cross-member under the T-bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind deflector makes a vast difference in the winter with the roof down, without a wind deflector you can feel the chill on the back of your neck whereas no issue with a deflector fitted. The wind deflector also makes a big difference if you or passenger has long hair. My daughters hair in my F without a deflector would blow forward big time, with a wind deflector it hardly moved.

In relation to the original OP, Not used one of those type, looks a lot like the Newtown Commercial one, also Rimmer Bros has a scan with one they sell which looks like a similar fitting.

Also, might be worth checking the following link for the only test done on wind deflectors or not

Thanks, dert. I agree with you. I have gone for the Rimmer Bros. one as it is 204 mm high whereas the Aperta one is 350 mm, which seems too high.

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
187 Posts
I understand that the low-height versions are necessary if you have a glass rear window. The extra weight of the glass makes it droop slightly and a high wind-stop scratches it when you fold it back (for better visibility whilst the hood is up).

I can off advice to anyone fitting a second-hand MG Rover wind-stop if supplied without the spacers. The spacers are usually left behind under the trim when wind-stop and mounting blocks are removed from the Donor car. P.M me if required, I have several photos of the process

·
Registered
21 Posts
There you have it, scientific proof of the fact that I'm utterly wrong ;-) (At least as far as MG wind deflectors are concerned…)

I compared my 135 without deflector experience in the past with the 160 with deflector experience I had weekend before last "up" in the Ardennes on the motorway. I didn't have a thermometer and I don't have hair, blue or otherwise. I had the impression driving with it up made the wind chill worse, the deflector working as a sort of wind tunnel. I should of course have tried a stretch of road with the deflector down, but I didn't.

Furthermore, I'm a wuss, winters I use the hardtop.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There you have it, scientific proof of the fact that I'm utterly wrong ;-) (At least as far as MG wind deflectors are concerned…)

I compared my 135 without deflector experience in the past with the 160 with deflector experience I had weekend before last "up" in the Ardennes on the motorway. I didn't have a thermometer and I don't have hair, blue or otherwise. I had the impression driving with it up made the wind chill worse, the deflector working as a sort of wind tunnel. I should of course have tried a stretch of road with the deflector down, but I didn't.

Furthermore, I'm a wuss, winters I use the hardtop.

Regards,
Richard
The secret to keeping wind chill off in the winter/cooler months is to put the heater on setting 2, the wind break then caused the warm air to circulate around the cabin rather than pulling in cold air from outside meaning you can drive around at really low temperatures with the cabin staying nice and warm...its when you have to stop in traffic you tend to start to feel the cold :)

Must add....a glass screen is a must for dropping the hood in cold weather, I had a plastic screen crack like glass many moons ago when putting it down on a frosty day

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,
Im a newbie here so be patient with me.
1/ which wind deflector is the one for me,
mine is 1999, MGF, with plastic back window.
2/ do i need to fold it down with the top up or down or does it matter.
3/ does the height matter to me ?
4/ some one who can send it to Newzealand ?

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
187 Posts
Hi there Bluestuff, and welcome to the Forum. I have a TF, but the hood and hardtop did not change as regards dimensions, between F & early (pre 2004??)TFs. Post 2004ish, a glass rear window, with heating element/demister was fitted. This needs the reduced-height wind-stop, so that it can be folded backwards without touching and potentially scratching the glass. You might consider buying the reduced-height wind-stop, if you are thinking about buying the replacement hood rear panel which incorporates a glass rear window. The MGF Centre at Wolverhampton, and MGF Mania sell these glass-instead-of-plastic panels, which require drilling-out rivets and a few other bits of careful work to effect the replacement, but do-able DIY if you are the reasonably skilful.

I bought a second-hand MG O.E. Full-height wind-stop with a black mesh. It works fine but as with most second-hand wind-stops, it was supplied WITHOUT the spacers which fit in the large holes you are supposed to drill in the T - Bar trim. I drilled smaller holes and fitted shaped hardwood spacers between the bottom of the trim and the metal "foot" of the T-bar.

As I said on my 27 Sept post before you posted on this thread:
I can off advice to anyone fitting a second-hand MG Rover wind-stop if supplied without the spacers. The spacers are usually left behind under the trim when wind-stop and mounting blocks are removed from the Donor car. P.M me if required, I have several photos of the process
As regards who can ship: Rimmers sell the taller version, and various other options. MGFnTFBITZ seem to only?? sell the lower-height version:
Shallow Wind Deflector
Genuine MG part – new old stock
Part No: VUQ100280

Hope this helps, I always fold the deflector down when either the hood is up, or hardtop on.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
408 Posts
My wind deflector was on the car when I bought it and I have since discovered it is incorrectly fitted and just bolted to the T bar with spreader washers underneath. I've had the car over a year and it doesn't seem to cause a problem but am I risking anything?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
1/ which wind deflector is the one for me, mine is 1999, MGF, with plastic back window. - Genuine one or after-market, it will not really matter
2/ do i need to fold it down with the top up or down or does it matter. - It doesn't really matter
3/ does the height matter to me ? - No, you have a plastic screen, and even if you had a glass screen with a higher wind break it just means you put you hand onto the inside of the screen and lift it slightly "if" you want to put the windbreak down with the hood up
4/ some one who can send it to Newzealand ? - Cannot help you with that question sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts