MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I don't usually post on forums, but this page has helped me a lot and would like to let everyone know my findings and works carried out so far.

I'm not very mechanically minded, but have found the MGTF a great car to work on, it really shows how cars have got so complicated recently, so this car, along with everyone's guides has really boosted my confidence!

I bought a 06 Reg MG TF in XPower Grey, a couple of months ago and have been loving it. I was very fortunate with my car, the previous had bought it as a Lockdown project but never got round to taking full advantage of it, he had all the advisories looked at and resolved, this included new seals, new cambelt, new tyres, new front wishbones, new brakes, full services and even a wax spray underneath the car. He has also installed a brand new soft top rear window. The car also came with a hardtop with heated rear windscreen, which was originally Royal Blue but had been resprayed to match, and also a hood cover.

As mentioned before, I wanted to contribute to the page, so I will also link all my eBay / other listings, as I noticed a lot of link are now dead / expired to help anyone who wanted to do similar changes, so here we go:

- The bonnet has some strange faded patches, I used some T-Cut Black ColourFast and this removed them, they are still somewhat visible at some angles, but now where near enough to warranty replacing or repairing the bonnet
Bonnet before TCut:
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

- The car had no floor mats, some nice generic ones look really nice and found a colour to match the lovely paintwork (MG TF Generic Floor Mats)

- As a bit of an audiophile, next was the radio, something I had done before, unlike modern cars with in-built systems, was a simple case of take out the old one and installing the new one, I chose one with Bluetooth with a nice looking designed from ieGeek (Model K301), I hadn't hear of the brand before, but had great Amazon reviews and I cannot fault it, automatically connects to my Bluetooth phone has a 'Loud' mode for extra bass (ieGeek Bluetooth 1 DIN Radio). I also managed to get it at only £23.11 as it was on offer. I also needed an ISO to DIN adapter for the radio antenna (ISO to DIN Radio Antenna Adapter)

Note, it doesn't stick out that much as pictured, I tested it was all working before pushing it in fully
White Vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part

- I then noticed the driver's black plastic plate where the seatbelt retracts was cracked, I decided to purchase much nicer looking ones of eBay, brushed Chrome effect and really pops (Chrome / Brush Chrome Effect Seatbelt Plates). Installation is literally the two Phillips screws, and slide the seatbelt into the new ones:
Textile Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

- Next a small changes which no one notices (apart from me!), there was clearly water getting into the car which had rusted the two screws in the door pockets, I used two old screws from the seatbelt plates and changed these, I also took the plastic pockets out and gave these a good clean:
Automotive tire Hood Tire Grille Bumper

- Next was a small change but gave a nice finish, not sure if this is standard or not, but the two wind mirror screws where visible, I wouldn't have minded but the yellow gold screws, almost look like wood screws!, so a couple of covers finished it off nicely (Wing Mirror Screw Caps). Apologies for blurry photo!
Outerwear Sleeve Jersey Grey Wood

- Next change was a small change but resolved a huge problem, a bit of back story. When I purchased the car the previous owner mentioned the car leaked in heavy rain, which I thought was odd considering all the seals around the doors and trim had been replaced, I thought I was going to have to take it into a garage to get this resolved, I did investigate some other avenues, one being inserting clear pipe in the seals to expanded it creating a better seal. Anyway, back to the door catches, I wanted to spray the door catches as they were rusting and didn't look great, so I removed the two screws and the catches:

BIG SIDE NOTE: There are three elements to the door catches, the catches itself, the two screws and the backplate where the screws screw into, if you do this, place a thin metal rod or similar where the screw goes in, first doing the top one then the bottom one! I was lucky enough to notice this before taking both screws off, if you don't the support the backplate somehow, it will fall down into the abyss I wouldn't even know where to start on how to get it out!

I will admit some of the black paint has come off despite a primer, two coats and clear coat, but this is where the door catch is physically getting hit
Wood Auto part Household hardware Metal Gas
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey

But going back to the leak, after reinstalling the catches I noticed the doors where not flush with the body work when closed. They closed and locked fine, and didn't rattle, but definitely weren't flush. So I recrewed the door locks a lot more inside the door frame, meaning the door could close shut more into the door frame, and guess what!

No more leaking! Definitely worth it trying if you have the same issues, but also worth doing as it make the interior quieter when driving (less wind noise) and the doors also have a much nicer 'shut noise' when the doors slammed shut, along with a nicer 'click' noise when pulling the handle open, and best of all, it's free to do! Just don't screw it inside the frame too much as the door won't close properly at all, I left about a pinkie finger sized gap between the door frame and the catch (as seen in the 'AFTER' photo).

- Then it will the fuel cap, it had clearly worn away over the years and was really the only physically flaw the car had, (I forgot to take before pick, but essentially the chrome effect has disintegrated)

I bought a new filler cap here (New Filler Cap) and used this guide here, (Change Filler Cap Guide). I will admit this one was a pain to do, I ended up stabbing myself with a flat head multiple times to get the lock barrel blue plastic holder out of the way, but got it done in the end!

Before and After:
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Circle

- Next was a new leather gaiter for the gear stick with lovely grey stitching, I followed this guide (Change Gear Stick Leather Gaiter). One thing I noticed which wasn't correct in the guide was after removing the plastic ring mount, it mentions to remove 4 Philips screws, I couldn't find these on mine, as there were 4 strong clips, after unclipping these you could remove the old gaiter, small change but certainly an improvement over the 16 year old worn out one. (Leather Gear Stick Gaiter)
Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive tire Automotive design

- Next I installed two chrome rings for the clock and temperature gauge, nothing to exciting, but does certainly add a bit of depth to the bland centre console, I did have to use some water based glue, as while the rings did fit perfectly, it would have been nice if they where ever so slightly bigger so the 'clicked' into place instead of using glue (this is something the manufacture recommended), (Chrome / Brushed Chrome Effect Rings for Centre Console)
Car White Light Green Steering part

- Read More in Part 2, I made a big boo boo...

PART 2 (Click Here!)

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
53 Posts
This all looks potentially useful for many F and TF owners, including me, though persuading my wife that my TF needs any of this Bling might be harder than fitting it! The chrome rings and seat-belt guides look really good in my opinion, and although my gear lever gaiter is fine, I looked at plenty of Fs and TFs before buying mine, most of which needed new gaiters, so the links showing sources are useful.
Regards, and looking forward to part2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This all looks potentially useful for many F and TF owners, including me, though persuading my wife that my TF needs any of this Bling might be harder than fitting it! The chrome rings and seat-belt guides look really good in my opinion, and although my gear lever gaiter is fine, I looked at plenty of Fs and TFs before buying mine, most of which needed new gaiters, so the links showing sources are useful.
Regards, and looking forward to part2.
Hi Ellis, thank you for your reply, this is my first forum post ever, which is strange as I work in IT! Part two is now available, I have edited the original post to include the link, hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
mg_tf
486 Posts
I think it’s great what you have done, and your work is obviously the product of an enthusiastic owner.
If I am allowed one comment - an opinion rather than a criticism - your refinished door catches have been painted in a colour that makes them stand out rather than blend in. As you probably know, these were originally finished in an electro zinc plating, and I would have thought that a nearest-match silver would have been far less obtrusive than the black. Hope you don’t mind me pointing this out, and appreciating any such change is a personal choice.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it’s great what you have done, and your work is obviously the product of an enthusiastic owner.
If I am allowed one comment - an opinion rather than a criticism - your refinished door catches have been painted in a colour that makes them stand out rather than blend in. As you probably know, these were originally finished in an electro zinc plating, and I would have thought that a nearest-match silver would have been far less obtrusive than the black. Hope you don’t mind me pointing this out, and appreciating any such change is a personal choice.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Hi Austin, thank you for your reply, I agree, silver would have looked better. I did black as it's what I had around, but they are chipping, so a silver respray may come in the near future! Thank you for your comment!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have that Igeek radio in my Tf. 15 quid new on ebay, and as you say cant fault it. The only thing for me is that it lights blue at night, but unbeatable value, more than adequate sound quality for standard speakers and usb, bluetooth, aux, usb charging. Top piece of cheap kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts