MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2002 MG TF 1.8 135, and its about due for a timing belt change. Looking on Euro Car Parts, there appears to be a choice of a 145 Teeth / 26mm wide belt. or 143 teeth / 23mm wide belt. Its been about 5 years since I last changed the belt, and I can't find any info on what I bought last time. Can anyone please advise which one I need. Many thanks, Simon

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
I recently changed my belt and water pump on my 2002 TF135

ECP Dayco Belt kit 348772295
26mm 145 teeth kit includes the auto tensioner.

Circoli water pump

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
..... a 2002 MG TF 1.8 135.......... appears to be a choice of a 145 Teeth / 26mm wide belt. or 143 teeth / 23mm wide belt.
You will have an auto-tensioner engine on a 2002 135, so you need the 145 tooth, 26mm wide belt.

The 143 tooth/23mm wide belt is for engines with a manual timing belt tensioner, which is all VVC engines, and non-VVC engines up to some time in 1999.

·
Registered
mg_tf
316 Posts
Hello Simon,
Great, the question appears to have been answered.
Now to me, comes the most important question of what quality aftermarket parts to buy. In my book, I would only use Gates kits if not using the preferred main dealer kits. However, I would not use their kits which include the water pump, since they will be of unknown origin. In my book, I would only buy genuine X Part water pumps in this case, since the quality of aftermarket water pumps is always the weak link in this critical assembly.
ECP? Seem to be favoured by many as the first port of call, but often not the most reasonably priced, even after applying their frequent % discount offers.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
......I would only use Gates kits if not using the preferred main dealer kits. However, I would not use their kits which include the water pump, since they will be of unknown origin.........
As you keep parrotting this every time the question of K series cam belt/water pump changes comes up, I think it is worth pointing out that the water pump now supplied as 'Genuine MG Rover' by XPart is not the same Airtex pump that was factory fitted to these engines, and perhaps also needs to be regarded as 'of unknown origin' ;) (I have a feeling perhaps Airtex have stopped making them? as they no longer list the K4 water pump in their website catalogue).

The reason I say this is that a lot of parts now supplied by XPart as genuine MG Rover are not from the same manufacturer as supplied them originally - I recently bought a pair of XPart/Genuine MG Rover 25/ZR front lower suspension arms from Rimmers which I found were no longer the original fit TRW items (which have 'TRW' cast onto them), but were in fact the exact identical parts which are available as aftermarket parts through most motor factors under any of several different aftermarket suppliers such as QH, First line etc - just to point out that "Genuine MG Rover" parts may no longer be from the same original manufacturer, and perhaps may not be of the same quality. Due to a reducing market for many componenets , XPart may even be in some instances increasingly reduced to offering what is available to them from whatever aftermarket manufacturer is still making them, rather than being able to insist on specific quality levels ;)

If you have some specific information which might lead to the conclusion that the pump supplied by Gates may be of questionable quality, please feel free to share to justify your doubts. Gates were the original factory supplier of the K series timing belts, and there is (in my opinion) absolutely no reason to suspect that the quality of the water pumps that they include in their kits is any less good than original factory fit quality.

·
Registered
mg_tf
316 Posts
Nice opening tone to the post! Still......
Really not much point in debating it further, and just leaving things unsaid, and buyers to their own choice then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts