MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
Recently I discovered that my MG TF 1.6 2003 had the head gasket gone! Also, it’s have’s bad compression in all 4 pistons. I was thinking of replacing the engine with another, but I have the fear of all happening again...
So... Anyone knows any ENGINE SWAP for the MG TF that isn’t to complicated? Or where to find info?
Thanks
Hope that you’re having a great day
🤞

·
Registered
1998 Rover 200 SE 1.1 8v
29 Posts
Hi everybody!
Recently I discovered that my MG TF 1.6 2003 had the head gasket gone! Also, it’s have’s bad compression in all 4 pistons. I was thinking of replacing the engine with another, but I have the fear of all happening again...
So... Anyone knows any ENGINE SWAP for the MG TF that isn’t to complicated? Or where to find info?
Thanks
Hope that you’re having a great day
🤞

View attachment 136238
I read a thread a while back, and in all truth there isn't an engine that will fit straight. The TF suits the K series really well, and swapping it with another engine involves complete modification of the car. I recommend repairing the engine, as they can be fixed, fixed well and prevented from future issues with improved gaskets, temperture alarms etc. There are many books and guides on how to look after a k series as well. Hope this helped!
Looks lovely By the way, don't think i've seen that colour before!

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
The easiest engine swap is another K-series, either to another 1.6 or better still, take the opportunity to upgrade to a 1.8.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
837 Posts
Hola Carlos,

Couldn't the low compression be associated with the blown head gasket? I too would think that repairing what you have would be a lot less effort, and cost less overall, than an engine swap.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,066 Posts
There have only been a handful of engine swaps, I am not sure any of them have been totally successful.

As others have said I would keep the engine that you have and take the head off for inspection, even if the head is damaged it would be cheaper and easier to get a good replacement head.

Fantastic looking TF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts