MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

So after repairing the window wiper linkages yesterday I thought I'd try and find the "union" on the aircon which a previous owner said was no longer available and so their garage had said no more aircon.

Anyway, in my search I thought I'd lift up the carpets, you seasoned MGers will know what's next. Soaking wet in both footwells. I have sealed the air scoop and a couple of the other plugs around the bulkhead under the bonnet so will see how it goes but I'm tempted to remove the seats and carpet to allow them to dry and do a full fault find. (Any tips would be great). Driving with the passenger carpet pulled up as much as possible seemed to show water coming from under the passenger seat, but the drivers side was still soaking so unsure what it may be.

I actually want to only refit the drivers side seat. Will this cause an issue with the airbag on the passemger side as it will have no plug in it?

Sorry for the big story, cheers!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The union being the rubber L connector that takes condensed water away from the aircon unit in the passenger's footwell to underneath the car? If one and the same, have you had a good search of the passenger footwell for it in case it just 'fell off'?

I am sure that you could find another appropriate rubber pipe to replace. To kill aircon just because of this appears somewhat extreme.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,125 Posts
Is it water or coolant as the only thing that I can think of that would wet both sides in that area is a leaking heater.

If you remove the passenger seat it will throw an error and shut down the SRS down not just for the passenger but also the driver. It is possible that a resistor of the correct value could be put across the plug to fool the system to think that there is a seat in place.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Check the rear screen velcro areas, found out on my 75th the rear screen was poorly fitted (before my ownership) with the screen letting water flow into the area above the engine then down the inner carpet which pooled into the area behind the seats which then flows to the front footwells....only discovered this after taking out the drivers seat and carpet, which the water ingress was worse and by using talcum powder to dust all around the footwell. Footwell was still filling with water but no evidence of water breaking the dusting so took my search to the rear.....the rest is history :)

Edit...in relation to the passenger side SRS light, take the seat out, remove the seatbelt fitting and plug the removed seatbelt fitting back into the wiring...with the seat and carpet out you could always ductape it to the raised chassis area between the rear and the footwell so it doesn't fall about

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Also check you front upper door to seal and mirror 'cleat' areas. Water leaks in these areas are common and can often be confirmed by seeing witness marks on the door speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, to clarify, it is definitely water, no wild smell. Interestingly the rust on the metal beneath is minimal, which may indicate a recent cause (such as taking the hardtop off) so maybe you are right dert.

Julian, I have no idea what union it was, hence the search. I agree it seems crazy to disable the aircon for something so simple. Do you know if any diagrams that I can trace along the car to find the missing bit?

Chris, thanks for that, does this mean if I drive around with no passenger seat I will just have no airbags? As in it won't fire off the passenger one as soon as I connect the battery? Bit terrified if them to be honest.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also check you front upper door to seal and mirror 'cleat' areas. Water leaks in these areas are common and can often be confirmed by seeing witness marks on the door speakers.
Thanks Ian, don't think that's it, the seals are quite good around the doors I adjusted them at the start of the year. Also the water is only under the carpets in the sponge, not on top

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
These are two diagrams that may help you - MGF and MG TF Receiver Dryer and Hoses | Rimmer Bros and MGF and MG TF Evaporator and Components | Rimmer Bros . You can see that a lot of parts are still in stock to my surprise as very few cars got shipped with aircon. The part I was thinking of that causes there to be water on the passenger side of the floor and which could be the part missing is JQG 100050 and is here Grommet - Evaporator Drain Tube - JQG100050 - Genuine MG Rover | Rimmer Bros . My car is an MGF and the tube comes out of the bottom of the box which is in the way of the passenger's feet! It is easy to miss and it is hidden mainly by the underfloor carpet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are two diagrams that may help you - MGF and MG TF Receiver Dryer and Hoses | Rimmer Bros and MGF and MG TF Evaporator and Components | Rimmer Bros . You can see that a lot of parts are still in stock to my surprise as very few cars got shipped with aircon. The part I was thinking of that causes there to be water on the passenger side of the floor and which could be the part missing is JQG 100050 and is here Grommet - Evaporator Drain Tube - JQG100050 - Genuine MG Rover | Rimmer Bros . My car is an MGF and the tube comes out of the bottom of the box which is in the way of the passenger's feet! It is easy to miss and it is hidden mainly by the underfloor carpet.
Number 68 on the diagram I see. I'll take a look, does it just lead into the floor? If it's apparant then it must be missing cause I've had my head in there!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have never had my head firmly down there. What I see on mine is a very flimsy pipe that can easily get disconnected and causes water leaks. What I do not know is if part 68 replaces the pipe I see on mine or is part of the same. There appears to be a lot of 68 hidden if one and the same as what I can see. Yes, it leads into the floor and either disappears or is just a connector pipe to 68. I suggest that you lift the carpet and get a good view.

A previous thread on the subject - MG TF Air conditioning water leak

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, I got the passenger seat and carpets out, looks to be a previous repair where the water is coming from (bottom left of the image)

Julian, see the second image, I have not removed any pipes. Looks to me like you may have found the missing piece of the puzzle! I just have no idea where I'd connect it to.

I ran the hose over the entire car, then focused it on the front end for a little. View attachment 136591

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
There seems to be only one picture. Lift the upper carpet in the picture you have uploaded. Should be in the middle (in fact I think I can see where it should go as semi-shown. Perhaps the previous owner diagnosed the wrong cause - ie thought it was from the wheel arch where all the sealant is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check the rear screen velcro areas, found out on my 75th the rear screen was poorly fitted (before my ownership) with the screen letting water flow into the area above the engine then down the inner carpet which pooled into the area behind the seats which then flows to the front footwells....only discovered this after taking out the drivers seat and carpet, which the water ingress was worse and by using talcum powder to dust all around the footwell. Footwell was still filling with water but no evidence of water breaking the dusting so took my search to the rear.....the rest is history :)

Edit...in relation to the passenger side SRS light, take the seat out, remove the seatbelt fitting and plug the removed seatbelt fitting back into the wiring...with the seat and carpet out you could always ductape it to the raised chassis area between the rear and the footwell so it doesn't fall about
Dert what did you mean by plug the seat belt back into the wiring?

I'm just worried I plug the battery back in qnd the airbag will pop.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Dert what did you mean by plug the seat belt back into the wiring?

I'm just worried I plug the battery back in qnd the airbag will pop.

Cheers
The wiring cable coming from the seat belt pre-tensioner unit - The bit the seat belt clips into, bolted on the inner side of the seats , I suppose I wasn't very clear in what I posted :p I wouldn't worry too much about disconnecting/reconnecting the multi-plug, I've disconnected/reconnected with battery connected and disconnected. If concerned, disconnect the battery about half hour before you disconnect the multi-plug.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had to spray some WD 40 over the pre-tensioner electrical connectors as one was playing up re the SRS light. In the past, I disconnected the battery for half an hour, this time I did not when disconnecting the connectors as I was feeling lazy - No problem but I did ensure the ignition was off and the key out. In retrospect, not a smart move so in the future I will revert to the safety-first mantra!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,125 Posts
I’ve always been quite circumspect when dealing with anything to do with the SRS, even more so now I have recently experienced what it is like to be close to a deployed air bag and how much damage it did to me and my clothing (albeit better than the alternative of no air bag).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So there was the cable going to the bottom of the seat, which I thought was the airbag? But I didn't see a cable going to the seatbelt? Just unbolted it from the seat and popped it on the parcel shelf.

Well as an update I'm currently driving around with no passenger seat and the carpet removed (had to slice the carpet from under the centre console).

I think the water is coming from the welded metal box under the passenger seat. Going to wait and see. So might need to take the search under the car.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
So there was the cable going to the bottom of the seat, which I thought was the airbag? But I didn't see a cable going to the seatbelt? Just unbolted it from the seat and popped it on the parcel shelf.
The cable under the seat leads to the seatbelt pre tensioners which is what the seatbelt clips into, when in a accident the pre-tensioners pull the seatbelt into the passenger to help avoid forward travel. The airbags are in the steering wheel and if fitted the passenger side dash, usually indicated by the letters SRS on the bottom left of it. image below has been shamelessly stolen from ebay
:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cable under the seat leads to the seatbelt pre tensioners which is what the seatbelt clips into, when in a accident the pre-tensioners pull the seatbelt into the passenger to help avoid forward travel. The airbags are in the steering wheel and if fitted the passenger side dash, usually indicated by the letters SRS on the bottom left of it. image below has been shamelessly stolen from ebay
:p View attachment 136597
Ah I see! My bad, I thought that cable told the airbag if anyone was in the seat.

Learning every day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts