MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is soon upon us and one of the jobs I have planned for this year is a good cleanup of the interior of my 2004 TF 160.
I am told that the seats are all leather, all black with what I assume to be perforated black leather centre panels and they are shiny in appearance, and are otherwise in good condition. The seats are the original fitment as far as I can tell.

My quandary is this: Are the seats actually all leather including the centre panels, and should the original finish be matte?
Knowing the answer to these points would help me decide the best way to clean and preserve them.
I would like to achieve a matte finish - if that was how they originally were produced.
Your thoughts would be appreciated - thanks in advance.
B.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My guess is they are supposed to be glossy rather than matte , like a pair of brogues.

One thing I do know, replacing them is ridiculously expensive, and they expect you to give them your old seats in exchange.

Not much help I realise, but I'd certainly be interested to hear how you get on restoring them.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Your seats will be leather faced with vinyl on the sides and back. The original finish would have been satin matt - definitely not shiny.

There are myriad leather treatments out there which can clean, condition and protect the leather, but not necessarily restore the as-new finish. Autoglym's products are decent and I've heard good things about Gliptone (particularly the scent).

·
Registered
mg_tf
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all, many thanks for your thoughts.

Roobs .... Fortunately, my seats seem to be quite sound otherwise, so replacing them is not needed.
It's just that they are glossy in appearance on the surface and I was unsure what the original finish would have been.

LeRich .... Interesting, I didn't realise the the side panels would be vinyl.
Thanks for the tip about Autoglym and Gliptone, I will look into them further to see if they will help achieve the original satin/matte finish to the facings.

Having said all that, it's cambelt time again and that will have to come first - Oh deep joy !
Cheers ...B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts