MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it appears I have some rust/holes in the front sub frame, can it be welded or does it have to be replaced. The rust holes are on the horizontal legs that run front yo back. One sides not too bad.

·
Registered
mg_tf
473 Posts
F or TF? mine was looking decidedly taty and I picked up one that had been blasted and powder coated for a reasonable price. I was lucky as all the fixing bolts came out without breaking but I had sprayed them all several time in the days before. It wasn't too difficult taking the sub frame out and once out I was able to swap the parts from one to the other. I took the opportunity to wire brush and paint the suspension components and it all went back together without issue. Mine is a TF so no suspension to depressurise. I did it a couple of years ago and it stills looks great.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,586 Posts
Think the mechanic is wrong about that.

It may depend on the extent and position of the necessary repair, (and will rely on the repair being done to a satisfactory standard) but the front main subframe on my ZR had to have a small plate welded on it a few years ago and the repair was done by the MOT tester himself.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,073 Posts
Had some holes in one of my front subframes on a TF, welded it up and not had a problem since, probably stronger than original now......this was one side before and then after, the other side was not so bad, I will add, another of my TF's the front subframe was so bad I binned it
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Rim
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Composite material Gas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Front subframes come up on eBay from time to time they are not to badly priced if yo are looking for a replacement try a bloke named Graham underwood he on market place on face book powder coated front and rear plus other bits and pieces for both mgf and tf good luck👍👍👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts