MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I currently own an MG TF 135 1.8l, and the tail pipes of the exhaust system are fairly rusted. As I'm going to need to replace the tail pipes anyway, I'm considering replacing the whole exhaust system for better performance. I've also heard a remap from kmaps can also increase fuel economy and performance.

I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to cars, partly why I got the MG TF in the first place as it'd be great to learn. For context, I've only just learnt what a CAT is.

There's a custom exhaust garage nearby (South Wales), so I'm going to try and get a quote there.

Is it recommended to replace the exhaust system and potentially remap? Or would I be wasting money and better off just trying to replace the rusted tail pipes?

If it's recommended, what exhaust should I go for?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hey,

I currently own an MG TF 135 1.8l, and the tail pipes of the exhaust system are fairly rusted. As I'm going to need to replace the tail pipes anyway, I'm considering replacing the whole exhaust system for better performance. I've also heard a remap from kmaps can also increase fuel economy and performance.

I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to cars, partly why I got the MG TF in the first place as it'd be great to learn. For context, I've only just learnt what a CAT is.

There's a custom exhaust garage nearby (South Wales), so I'm going to try and get a quote there.

Is it recommended to replace the exhaust system and potentially remap? Or would I be wasting money and better off just trying to replace the rusted tail pipes?

If it's recommended, what exhaust should I go for?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.
My advice to increase power is to buy the fast one!- The TF160. Between me and my son, we have had the 135 and a 160 each and there a pros and cons- the 135 is a softer easier ride whereas the 160 can be an animal if you want it to be. its just they dont like being abused without consequences.

Back to the exhaust.
If you are repacing it as its not to your liking- and the flexi-pipe and CAT are ok, then No, you dont need to replace the lot but you will find loats of rusty nuts/bolts. It took me a whole day to replace 'the lot' as the 160 is a 'four branch' siamese manifold with the flexi-pipe . Every nut/bolt had to be ground off and the Cat drilled out as i re-used it.

I fitted a TT Mk 4 to my sons and that took some 'fitting' as it was not exactly 'square' and needed to be 'adjusted' to his satisfaction. It failed its MOT on noise. i rest my case on loud exhausts.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
341 Posts
...but if, after all, you don't want to change your 135 for a 160 (neither are exactly super fast!) I've bought a couple of Klarius standard exhausts in the past. They have always been best v-f-m imo and sounded standardly quiet, but fittingly very slightly sporty + nice. (I think they're pricier now tho'...) And, yeah, you might have to grapple with a few rusty nuts and bolts on the silencer and cat connections...

re mapping: I had to buy a 'standalone' remapped ecu cos mine was 'broken' when I bought my current TF135 nearly 3years ago: - Very costly (brand-new OEM was even more costly) but it was the only alternative at the time to get back on the road. Many remaps seem to be send-ecu-through-the-post options but recently there's a firm* around that'll remap your current file through email - as long as you have a mate with diagnostics that can take it off and put it back on through the OBD port (many on the forum seem to know their way around PScan, and there must be an enthusiast in your area...) Just an opinion but I haven't found my (original) remap entirely earth-shattering. To explain more, I recently used my own PScan to synch a standard brand new ecu that I bought - they've become much cheaper - and it makes the expensive all-singing/must-have/remap a bit underwhelming imo; I have now both ecus, to swap over at will, as a direct comparison. And anyway with the ability of hindsight, and experience with PScan, I think now-a-days if I wanted a remap I'd buy a used ecu to do it on - so that I hadn't 'burned my bridges' and could put the standard one back if I wanted...

Also I've recently bought a stainless exhaust for longevity (trying to avoid the super-sporty/noisy type - they're always a bit raunchier) and I'm beginning to want to put the old Klarius 'standard' back on...

So I understand your MG-enthusiasm, but having been there standard isn't such a bad option after all.

* I've used that firm with really satisfying end-results (y)

Again just my opinion. I hope I'm not being pessimistic - I wouldn't want to offend others who feel more strongly about their own upgrades.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts