MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
New to the group and would aprreciate any help with my question TIA
I took my elderly father to view a mg tf 2004 1.8 with 30k to possibly purchase.
I wanted to check the car for mot on the gov website and when I typed the reg in the car came up as red although the car is silver. The owner who has owned the car for 6 years was as confused as I was. I left and asked him if he could check the tax book, he rang me to say that tax book says car is red/silver. I'm a bit confused by this as the car has black leather interior with black soft top.
I was thinking maybe the car had a red soft top originally but as he has owned it for 6 years and from 26k.
Confused, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Check the vin plate codes and see if it looks tampered with. VIN plate is under the bonnet here:

The VIN plate has a three letter code for the colour that you can goggle to see what it should be. For example: EAM is radiant red and CAF is silver, and there are many others. The plate also gives details on the trim, which should match in the car if genuine.

I’d forget it if it doesn’t look genuine.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Firstly, your post is in the wrong section of the forum - I expect a moderator will move it to the correct F/TF section of the forum shortly.

Being a 2004 model, it will have an MG Rover colour and you can check the colour code on the VIN plate against the list provided by drdial here: Paint Codes.

It is quite possible that the car originally had a red soft top (or possibly hard top) and this had become worn or damaged during its first 10 years, and was replaced with the black one?

It is also possible that a previous owner has had the car resprayed a different colour; not necessarily a reason to reject it.

You can check the build record details on www.mg-rover.info, but the paint code on the VIN plate will normally match the build record details (although there are a considerable number of TFs that were ordered under the Monogram ordering scheme and specified with one of the Monogram only colours, but had the three letter paint code for Starlight Silver - MBB, both on the VIN plate and on the build record).

·
Registered
mg_tf
319 Posts
Obviously the advice is the route to follow, but of course would entail inspecting the car again armed with a print out of the colour codes for that model year. The build record should be the definitive record in this case.
I’m a little confused by your reference to ‘tax book’. Are you talking V5 here, since your location is marked with the Union Jack. V5s can be wrong, but it sounds like some homework is necessary here.
Probably an off topic statement, but ‘elderly’ father and TFs. TF s can, and normally are, at the bone-shaker end of the suspension scale!

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,501 Posts
Just ask the seller to take a picture of the VIN plate and send it to you. If he's genuine I'm sure he will, most people have a mobile with a camera nowadays.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,927 Posts
I wouldn’t be too suspicious, the DVLA are not paragons of data accuracy, according to the DVLA my TF is a special edition that was never produced by MGR.

·
Registered
mg_tf
319 Posts
Whereas I certainly appreciate where you are coming from Chris, I think the potential buyer cannot afford not to be too suspicious at this stage. Yes, of course the DVLA make mistakes - don’t we all? - but to me, it would be important to establish that there is a mistake, who’s mistake it is, and how it can be corrected -if it can- before ( in caps) buying it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts