MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 03 TF. The bonnet release in the boot is not opening the bonnet.

Is there any quick fix?

Anything would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
oceanmatt said:
I just bought an 03 TF. The bonnet release in the boot is not opening the bonnet.

Is there any quick fix?

Anything would be appreciated.
It would help if you could give a little more info??.... ie is the bonnet pull working the release mechanism (ie bonnet will open but you have to lift it yourself instead of it `popping` up)

Or is the cable snapped/dissconected, ie bonnet pull handle slack with no resistance, and bonnet stuck down??..

·
Registered
585 Posts
indeed, the more info we have the more we can diagnose.

As for quick fix..just bought - via garage? - back tomorrow leave them the keys tell them you will pick it up in two hours fixed.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
This happened on my old MGF. Took the garage about 5 minutes to fix. Open the bonnet somehow from under the car then retentioned the cable. I assume the cable had come out or the fixing screw was loose. Never happened again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. I was going to take it into a garage, but I did not want to take it in if it was something common and simple that I can rectify.

When I pull the lever, there is resistance, but no popping of the bonnet, but I can pull the lever all the way back.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
hughf said:
This happened on my old MGF. Took the garage about 5 minutes to fix. Open the bonnet somehow from under the car then retentioned the cable. I assume the cable had come out or the fixing screw was loose. Never happened again.
You cant open the bonnet from under the car on the TF as they have a guard around the bonnet release mechanism, to stop people from stealing the car :rolleyes:
Try getting someone to push down on the front of the bonnet as you pull the lever. If there is still resitsance then it sounds like the cable is still attached/not broken and its the catch that has stuck or the cable needs lubricating.
Hhne you do get it open, cable tie the end of the cable to the catch to stop it coming off. You can also do the same on the boot catch cable, as they have been known to come off to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts