MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forum hoping someone can point me in the right direction. So abs keeps kicking in under braking found the nsr reluctor ring split. Thought great quick easy cheap fix however it turns out no body on the planet makes this ring as 3 different suppliers could not match it so resigned myself to buying a cv joint however the only one listed is the one off the 2002-2005 model which is bigger in diameter. So now im looking at almost 400 quid from rover for a full shaft just for a broken reluctor ring. Can anybody tell me where else i may be able to get the part i require from

Thanks james

·
Registered
mg_tf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No havent tried yet i figured one in a breakers yard would be pretty corroded too and i would be in the same predicament a few months down the line.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi all new to the forum hoping someone can point me in the right direction. So abs keeps kicking in under braking found the nsr reluctor ring split. Thought great quick easy cheap fix however it turns out no body on the planet makes this ring as 3 different suppliers could not match it so resigned myself to buying a cv joint however the only one listed is the one off the 2002-2005 model which is bigger in diameter. So now im looking at almost 400 quid from rover for a full shaft just for a broken reluctor ring. Can anybody tell me where else i may be able to get the part i require from

Thanks james
None on Ebay but see here http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/products/abs-reluctor-rings-1.html?___store=gb&gclid=CP_Fh8GawrICFYZV3godsU4AGA&manufacturer=17

£40 or so.....

·
Registered
mg_tf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes its definately different the older models up to 2005 have 42 teeth and an ID of 80 this one has 42 teeth with an ID of 75 mm all the suppliers hold the same part number for the cv joint as the older ones but when i tried to fit this joint it was to big and caught the hub and the stabalizing bar when rotating the wheel.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
mg_tf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes its a possibility will probabaly have to be braized as its so small the welder would just melt it would be very difficult to keep it true as it has broken in between teeth so could end up with a high spot which would throw the sensor out. Im now thinking the front wheels have a cv pot with the same ring on so i should be able to buy one of these knock the ring off then fit it to the shaft. Ill let you know how i get on.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I would guess. It would confuse the ECU. As I think the ECU would be looking for a set number mark space ratio to function correctly.

I stress that's just a guess.

·
Registered
mgf
689 Posts
Is it only one side that is split?
I had the same thing on my Rover 25 but both sides had gone. I changed the CV's over which was a pig of a job due to the bots being siezed but the CV's were dirt cheap at £15 each. The rings on their own were £10 each!!!!!! Fitting them is not so easy either by all accounts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would guess. It would confuse the ECU. As I think the ECU would be looking for a set number mark space ratio to function correctly.

I stress that's just a guess.
Thanks, it makes sense that each sensor would measure the width of the gap ... although I can't get my head round how it would do it without a perfect reference to the exact speed the wheel was rotating.

Have you tryed here. http://www.reluctorrings.com/

They say they will make one for no charge if they have not made any befor. Pricy otherwise though as the last one I fitted to a Swift cost £3 off eBay.
Nice find. Even without their 'free if it's the first one they've made' offer it's certainly a damn sight less expensive than a complete new shaft.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The ratio IS the speed reference. The logic unit counts the mark/space to derive the rotational speed. We use this set up in the power industry to measure turbine shaft speed accurately.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The ratio IS the speed reference. The logic unit counts the mark/space to derive the rotational speed. We use this set up in the power industry to measure turbine shaft speed accurately.
Thanks, yes I can see how rotational speed could be measured by the ABS control unit via the sensors counting the number of marks and spaces passing under it over time, but wasn't sure if it could (or even needed to) detect the actual size of the marks and spaces ... this is why I wondered what the consequences were to fitting two pairs of 43 tooth rings as opposed to the original 42 tooth rings.

Does the ABS ECU actually measure the exact rotational speed of the wheels?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes it does, and thus detects differential speeds between each wheel, and decides if a lock up is imminent or occurring and activates the ABS.
Others may disagree, but I reckon that one tooth would not be significant. I cannot say absolutely however!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
hi
may be a long shot , but email mg in china and see if they could send a couple of rings
what you got to loose and if you find some , at least you have spares
Paul D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes it does, and thus detects differential speeds between each wheel, and decides if a lock up is imminent or occurring and activates the ABS.
Thanks. Yes, the ABS ECU would of course require information regarding the exact differences in the rotational speed between each wheel, but I'm still sceptical that it requires the exact speed of each wheel in order to operate correctly (by 'exact speed' I mean the true road speed.) I'm sceptical because I have not heard of any ABS problems being caused by retro fitting 16" wheels on ABS equipped MGFs originally set-up for 15" wheels.

Even when measuring the the exact differences in rotational speed between each wheel there has to be some tolerance built into the ECU's software to account for (and ignore) the effect of the safe differences in individual rotational speeds caused by cornering.

So, to my mind, an extra tooth could well trick the ABS ECU into 'thinking' a wheel is spinning 2% faster than it actually is, but as long as it 'thinks' all four wheels are spinning 2% faster then it functions in exactly the same way as it would if it were calculating the differences between the speed of each wheel based on sensor readings measured from the original 42 tooth reluctor rings.

Others may disagree, but I reckon that one tooth would not be significant. I cannot say absolutely however!
I agree. As long as all four rings have an extra tooth I don't think the MG's ABS system is sophisticated enough to 'know' the difference ... if it were a true traction/stability control system taking its readings from the reluctor ring it would be a different matter, perhaps.

·
Registered
mg_tf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great replies people i really appreciate it im going to give reluctor rings.com a go today and will report back thanks again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts