MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mon drove the car 15 miles no noise no problems. Tues Car starts up with bang bang bang noise. RAC were called and informed me that it sounds like a big end gone. Is this possible one day ok next day bang. The oil was at min. Any ideas would be appreciated thank you

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
Welcome

Big end bearings are not a known problem on the k series engine unless provoked perhaps with no oil.
Any chance of a video so that we can hear the sound?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Chris. The car is now with my regular garage and I am waiting for a diagnosis. Will post on the forum when I have results. Thanks again

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I would wager that it suffered a coolant leak into a cylinder and it suffered hydraulic lock. I had exactly this overnight. One bent con rod and cracked cylinder liner were the result...

My car also ran, but sounded like an absolute bag of nails. The good news is that I had it all fixed (by myself) for well under £175 - and that included a new piston and con rod, cylinder liner and head gasket set.

Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Ian. According to my mechanic friend it is not the big end but something in the cylinder head. Should know in a few days what.

Regards O

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ian. According to my mechanic friend it is not the big end but something in the cylinder head. Should know in a few days what.

Regards O
I would definitely brace yourself for some major engine damage, I’m afraid.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Any more news?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts