MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I Have Just Bought A Tf 160 And Think I May Have A Problem.

When Driving Quickly On B Roads Which Are Not Exactly Smooth, The Car Seem Very Twitchy And Is Quite Hard To Keep In A Straight Line.

It Feels Like The Front End Is Being Thrown About Due To The Uneven Surface.

Is This A Common Trait Of The Tf Or Could There Be An Underlying Issue.

I Have Had New Tyres Fitted To The Rear And The Engine Has Been Uprated To 180bhp. I Also Beleive It Has Sp1 And 2 Fitted, But Am Unsure Of How To Check.

Any Comments Would Be Most Helpful.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Terribly subjective a subject and Ive seen complaints about it before.
So, to lob a log on the fire- you car HAS a problem as my 02 160 was always a straight as a die at all speeds and situations, it cornered easily and never wandered. It was very hard ride and very low in terms of speed-humps.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
The MG TF has a reputation for wandering around a bit if not set up exactly right.

Chris T mentions tyres. Not only what make, but what sizes on the front axle and the rear axle?

I'd also add, was there any uneven wear on the surfaces of the old tyres? Probably too late to find out now for the rears but what about the front tyres?

If so that may indicate poor suspension alignment or a wear problem in one of the suspension components. There are lots of things to look at there, like the anti-roll bars and drop link bushes, the ball joints etc. There is of course the test where the wheels are raised off the ground and with hands in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, then in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions the tester attempts to rock the wheels back and forward (very little movement should happen). This can show up slop in the suspension or a worn wheel bearing etc.

Then you could try a four wheel alignment done at a garage to make sure the wheel geometry and angles are correct.

Finally, I doubt this is the problem but rumour has it the MG TF was designed for the weight of a spare tyre under the front bonnet. However. economies at Rover meant the spare tyre was an option. You could try putting a bag of sand in the front where the spare tyre should be if you don't have one!

·
Premium Member
mgf
185 Posts
I agree you do have a problem. My TF drives strait and stable too. In Australia we have a term called "tram-lining" and my F and TF do this when the front tread depth gets near the wear indicators. With 55K on the clock, upper and lower ball joints would be due for replacement. Upper arm bushes tend to chop out too. wheel bearings also fail. All these items mentioned have been replaced on my TF due to wear at 70,000Klms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts