MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I Have Just Bought A Tf 160 And Think I May Have A Problem.

When Driving Quickly On B Roads Which Are Not Exactly Smooth, The Car Seem Very Twitchy And Is Quite Hard To Keep In A Straight Line.

It Feels Like The Front End Is Being Thrown About Due To The Uneven Surface.

Is This A Common Trait Of The Tf Or Could There Be An Underlying Issue.

I Have Had New Tyres Fitted To The Rear And The Engine Has Been Uprated To 180bhp. I Also Beleive It Has Sp1 And 2 Fitted, But Am Unsure Of How To Check.

Any Comments Would Be Most Helpful.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
BEERMONSTER said:
I Have Had New Tyres Fitted To The Rear
I'd say that’s the problem. New tyres are slippery for the first 1K miles or so and so can wreck the TF's handling. Would wait till you have done a K or 2, and then if the problem is there take it to a dealer and to get them to check all the suspension/subframe bolts are tight.
The TF does have quite a skittish nature though, SP1 makes this even worse, so it could be just this you are experiencing.

·
Registered
mg_tf
170 Posts
Hi Beermonster,

I just got a TF 160 - what are the mods you have to get you up to 180?

Mine (still running in) seems to stick OK so far.

l0necl0ne

·
Registered
mg_zs
502 Posts
If you unplug the power steering amount feed cable from the engine (i.e. your speedo is not connected [stops you clocking up mileage]) the power steering defaults to being always on full assist. This is rather unpleasant at higher speeds.

However, I agree that there's probably a bigger chance of it being down to you fiddling with the car (the tyres, etc.)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
jxl98c said:
If you unplug the power steering amount feed cable from the engine (i.e. your speedo is not connected [stops you clocking up mileage]) the power steering defaults to being always on full assist. This is rather unpleasant at higher speeds.
Have you tried it?
Just intersted as my PS defaults to off if the ECU doesn't recieve a speed signal.
Does the same if you pull the fuse.

·
Registered
mg_zs
502 Posts
SHARKYMGF said:
Have you tried it?
Just intersted as my PS defaults to off if the ECU doesn't recieve a speed signal.
Does the same if you pull the fuse.
Yup, definately.

My ZS has it unplugged, and it makes no difference, sweet.

However, if I unplug it on my TF, it defaults to full assistance. Just been out and tried it again over lunch. Totally floppy steering.

I just assumed that if it didn't rease the impulses used to signify how fast you're going it defaulted to full on as a saftey feature. (as floppy as it is with it disconnected, it's still better than having no power steering at all).

Maybe MGR changed it. I had the car in for an airbag light coming on. One of the things they said they'd done was an official 'performance update'. Wonder if this was one of the incorporated updates.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Don't see how thats possable. The MGF/TF's power steering is electronic, not hydraulic like the ZS. So on the TF, if you cut the power, it cuts the assistance.
If I rev mine at 3500> rpm for 20-30 secs whilst stationary, it goes into safe mode, i.e. no assistance :confused:
Believe the thoery is, if there is a fault when your travelling at speed, its easier to contol the car with no assistance than full assistance (as beermonster had found out).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have now sort the handling - it doesn't help if each tyre is running a different pressures. Front 28/26 psi Rear 39/28 psi.

Won't ever trust Kwik fit again!!

To get the power increase I have the following mods:

Vader induction Kit
Four branch manifold (4-2-1)
Sports cat
Daytona Exhaust
Superchips chip

this little lot gave a peak power of 179 bhp
and 164bls/ft of torque.

great for overtaking!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
how much were the below mods? and where did you get them from.

Also what affect did it have on the insurace?

Vader induction Kit
Four branch manifold (4-2-1)
Sports cat
Daytona Exhaust
Superchips chip

·
Registered
mg_zs
502 Posts
SHARKYMGF said:
Don't see how thats possable. The MGF/TF's power steering is electronic, not hydraulic like the ZS. So on the TF, if you cut the power, it cuts the assistance.
If I rev mine at 3500> rpm for 20-30 secs whilst stationary, it goes into safe mode, i.e. no assistance :confused:
Believe the thoery is, if there is a fault when your travelling at speed, its easier to contol the car with no assistance than full assistance (as beermonster had found out).
Read again Sharky, The Tacho cable is the one that is disconnected that provides feedback to how fast you are going, not the power to the power steering.

It is a grey 3 pin connector.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
jxl98c said:
Read again Sharky, The Tacho cable is the one that is disconnected that provides feedback to how fast you are going, not the power to the power steering.

Yes, but the EPAS ECU needs a speed AND an RPM input to calculate the assistance to apply, so if one or the other is disconnected, the EPAS defaults to off.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Please help where this grey plug is located as my sons TF is turning easier to one side than the other even standing still

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure I've read about this. If the car is standing still and steering is unequal then it is a fixable electric power steering fault. Search the forum for similar problems to maybe find the solution to your cars problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts