MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Had my tf 135 a few years now , the guy I bought it off had just had new discs and pads fitted before the head went . The car has a standard brake set up and I have never been impressed with the brakes I fitted a brake brace cleaned and fitted brake pads as well as changing the fluid . What’s a good set of pads for this car ? The last set were fitted by Halfords so no idea what they were ( just have the bill from the guy I bought it off ) I normally
Go for mintex standard pads are these a good option I just drive on the road . My current pads don’t lock the wheels when I brake hard . Any opinions

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,700 Posts
I tend to fit something like Brembo or Mintex from a local motor factors, at one stage I did fit EBC Greenstuff but I couldn’t tell the difference so when it came to replacement I went back to the normal pads.

The rear callipers do more work than on a FWD car, the rear callipers are known to not work very well and start to seize meaning the front callipers do too much work and can become overwhelmed. If the car isn’t fitted with ABS the brake dust should be quite even on all four wheels.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
413 Posts
Braking hard and panic braking are two different things, I find when driving normally I can't seem to lock the brakes but if I put my heart and soul (or should that be sole) into it I can lock the wheels (no ABS). The way I look at it is, if the brakes lock up they have in effect ceased to work anyway which is why ABS was invented. I would try some different pads but don't go for hard pads or they will probably seem even worse. Another thing I've read is you could try changing the flexis for braided ones which can make a difference as the old ones can expand taking out some of the braking effort.
Lastly it appears you have a Rover 75 as well; I owned one and found I could kick the ABS in easily and thought it was over servo'd for my liking, perhaps getting in the TF makes it appear under braked.

·
Registered
mg_tf
689 Posts
It’s likely there will be as many recommendations as there will be replies. Of course, Ferodo and Mintex were the premium brand when I had hair, but any longer?? I avoid Mintex simply because of the rapid wear encountered on a Rover Cabriolet fitted with new callipers, but opinions vary.
My current ‘try these’ with a non-MG are Brembo.

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
191 Posts
Another thing I've read is you could try changing the flexis for braided ones which can make a difference as the old ones can expand taking out some of the braking effort.
Lastly it appears you have a Rover 75 as well; I owned one and found I could kick the ABS in easily and thought it was over servo'd for my liking, perhaps getting in the TF makes it appear under braked.
I intend to change to braided hoses purely because the old hoses are as-supplied by Rover and have a date printed on them showing 2002 vintage. I am perhaps being cautious not trusting 20-year-old rubber, but this IS a vital part of the braking circuit, so "Life or Death" possibilities tip the balance in favour of replacement, in my mind at least.

I suspect that lack of braking POWER rather than softness of pedal "feel" is what rogrover38 is complaining about. If so I agree: Comparing my standard 15" wheel & standard braked TF with a kit car which had solid front discs, rear drum brakes (admittedly with a decent servo), I think my TF is relatively under-braked. I am hoping for a Christmas present of a 280mm brake conversion kit from MG Mania from my wife, but she is not convinced!

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
492 Posts
I intend to change to braided hoses purely because the old hoses are as-supplied by Rover and have a date printed on them showing 2002 vintage. I am perhaps being cautious not trusting 20-year-old rubber, but this IS a vital part of the braking circuit, so "Life or Death" possibilities tip the balance in favour of replacement, in my mind at least.

I suspect that lack of braking POWER rather than softness of pedal "feel" is what rogrover38 is complaining about. If so I agree: Comparing my standard 15" wheel & standard braked TF with a kit car which had solid front discs, rear drum brakes (admittedly with a decent servo), I think my TF is relatively under-braked. I am hoping for a Christmas present of a 280mm brake conversion kit from MG Mania from my wife, but she is not convinced!
I tend to drive within the known limits of my 97 MGF and also that of my 09 Skoda Superb, that's how I was taught too drive. Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
rover_75
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Braking hard and panic braking are two different things, I find when driving normally I can't seem to lock the brakes but if I put my heart and soul (or should that be sole) into it I can lock the wheels (no ABS). The way I look at it is, if the brakes lock up they have in effect ceased to work anyway which is why ABS was invented. I would try some different pads but don't go for hard pads or they will probably seem even worse. Another thing I've read is you could try changing the flexis for braided ones which can make a difference as the old ones can expand taking out some of the braking effort.
Hi thanks for your reply yes still own a 75 and the brakes are good . I never tend to brake hard just have a mot on the tf coming up and thought I’d test the braking out on a quiet road
And braking from 40 with it out of gear seemed a little lacking tho it may pass a mot I like to have brakes working as best they can . Always used mintex , the motor factor place I used always uses that brand . Think when the weather fairs up I will look at the brake pads

·
Registered
rover_75
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tend to fit something like Brembo or Mintex from a local motor factors, at one stage I did fit EBC Greenstuff but I couldn’t tell the difference so when it came to replacement I went back to the normal pads.

The rear callipers do more work than on a FWD car, the rear callipers are known to not work very well and start to seize meaning the front callipers do too much work and can become overwhelmed. If the car isn’t fitted with ABS the brake dust should be quite even on all four wheels.
Cheers Chris T
Will check out the brake dust didn’t know that

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got Brembo pads on my 160, but it has the 4-pot calipers. Combined with EBC Ultimax discs I find them to be OK. Didn't opt for yellow-, green- or redstuff pads, since they all got mixed reviews on the internet and are quite expensive. I might try them when I run through the Brembo's though.

BTW, on dry tarmac in the summer, the Brembos are enough to kick the ABS into action when braking really hard. I've managed a little tyre squeek when I gave it everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts