MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone have a MG TF 120 Stepspeed and when they drop it into reverse the car does not move, being an automatic it should creep backwards. Give the car a little gas nothing, give it even more gas, then you will hear a large clunk sound from the gearbox, the the car will learch backwards. According to the book on cold morning you will experince slow reaction to gear changes, but this happends when I'm reversing the car out of the garage, so temp should not be an issue. I just want to know whether this is a feature, not a fault.

kind regard

Matt

·
Registered
566 Posts
i would say this is a fault, in my TF 120, selecting gears when COLD usually takes 1-2 secs longer to engage but no clunk. always depress the break before changing gear the from PARK to DRIVE or REVERSE when cold otherwise it can cause damage the auto box. but the car should move without any throttle in any gear (on a FLAT road).

if i where you i would check the autobox gear fulid level it maybe low. if not, take it to your dealer to get the autobox checked.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Mine will occasionaly 'clunk' in reverse, but not much and I would hesitate to say it comes from near the gearbox. I thought it may be the brake pads binding somehow. It does take a bit of gas to get it moving. Perhaps the clunk is when it is changing over to the reverse clutch from the forward one.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Matt,

I've had a Steptronic / Stepspeed for over three years now and if it's been lying in the garage for a day or two during cold weather it certainly needs a little of the Go Juice to get it moving. It does tend to jump into action but I've never heard it give a clunk. Like Neil, my brake pads sometimes lock to the discs if they're a bit rusty through not being used and this gives a cracking noise when they break free. So, what you are experiencing could be the car being cold while parked up in a garage and the brakes holding it back slightly forcing you to give it a little more throttle than normal. After I've used my brakes a few times and the car's heated up I don't have any problems - it creeps forward and back as you'd expect.

If you are getting a "Clunk" from the gearbox I'd take it to a dealer and get it checked. Even just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all your advice, the car has only done 3000 miles since new from last June, so as you can see the car does not get much action. I'll make sure my foot is on the brake when I select reverse.
I just wanted to see what other owners thought before I took it back to the dealer, as this is my first automatic I've owned.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Let us know how you get on Matt. Puting your foot on the brake by the way is only to stop the car creeping forwards or backwards and running into something. It doesn't actually have any mechanical affect on the gearbox and while it's sensible to do it, it's not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, I have not been to the the dealer yet because It has not happened again. I wondering whether is was just the breaks sticking as I had washed the car and left the car in the garage for a few days, and I remember now the break discs had a little rust on them.
I took the car out for a good run out to Cardiff this week, stopped at few places on the way. The car ran like a dream, it's was a shame about the weather, as I've still got the Hard Top on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Stafainn said:
Puting your foot on the brake by the way is only to stop the car creeping forwards or backwards and running into something. It doesn't actually have any mechanical affect on the gearbox and while it's sensible to do it, it's not absolutely necessary.
i got told by an MG techie to ALWAYS do it when gearbox is cold, as the gearbox sticks and can cause the car to jerk forward (or backwards) and this can cause stress on the gearbox drive belt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts