MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG TF 120/135 2003 1800

893 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
I have had water running into the sump. Top Gasket is still good and top is ok, had it at an engineering works. They seem to think the seals under the sleeves seem to be the problem. Can that be, Does it take a seal behind the sleeve? so in the middle? And if it does, what is that seal called and where can I get it? Engine Block seems ok also. Sleeves are loose and theres no seals there. Need advice please. Cape Town South Africa. Shaheed

#2 ·
The wet liners sit on a 'shelf' as they are stepped half way down their length. There is no seal or gasket to buy/use - you basically have to apply a sealing ring yourself. Apologies, but I cant recall the name or specification of the sealer as I did mine about 10-12 years ago.

They certainly do fail here, but its not that common. If they feel loose though, it might be this issue.

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
If you have coolant getting into the oil, there are really a limited number of ways for this to happen. The most common is via a failed cylinder headgasket, and I would question what tests your engineers have done to be so sure that the gasket had not failed?

The only other ways for coolant to reach the sump are either a crack in either a cylinder liner of the engine casting, or a leaking oil intercooler (where one is fitted). The cylinder liners have a shoulder part way down which seats on a matching shoulder in the block casting. They are sealed on this shoulder using a thin bead of blue Hylomar sealant, but are usually a snug fit on the shoulders, and the sealant is really there to prevent any slight seepage. I would think it unlikely that any great quantity of coolant would reach the sump past the liners even if there were no sealant on the seat. Note that the K series liners are held in place by the clamping force on the cylinder head - with the head off it is often possible to move the liners by hand, but this doesn't mean there is a problem with them (although, having moved them, they will need taking out, the mating surfaces cleaned and resealed).

If your engineers think the liners are loose, I take it they have had the head off? If so, and they have moved the liners, they will have broken any seal that was there, and displaced the liner so there may well be a gap. The only way forward in that case is to have the liners out and reseal with hylomar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.