MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mg has been sitting for a few months undriven, yesterday i wanted to take it out on the road but when i engaged 2nd gear it stalled. The car got serviced 3k km ago. plus its only driven 77k km.I hope this forum can help me out with my problem.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
When you say it stalled- do you mean it cut out and wouldn't start again?
If its only 2nd gear-then try going 1st, 3rd?
It reads like you are breaking an electrical feed and turning off the magic box that supplies the sparks. Now, there are a number of modules that could be affected- cam position sensor, flywheel sensor.
What year is your car?
To give you and idea of how vague your post reads- I drove my car home from a 120 mile job, parked up and went in to have my dinner, see my son off and say bye to my grandkids- so it was sitting for an hour after a 120 run home, mid summer.
Went to start it and it turned over fine, no fire.
I spent the rest of the evening until it got dark diagnosing and found the boot wiring loom had broken and turned all my sparks off. It was an easy fix to splice some fresh wires in, solder and insulate with self-amalgamating-tape. Oh, and cable-tie the loom so it didnt happen again.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,554 Posts
I'm with Patm, more information needed here.

Does the car stall if you select 2nd gear with the stick but don't let the clutch pedal up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is a mg tf 115 from 2003 its done around 48000 miles, yes it cuts off(stalls) when i select the second gear with the clutch pushed in.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,554 Posts
To be honest I'm baffled as to what could cause a manual gearbox TF to stall only in second gear, with the clutch pedal pushed in.
As far as I know there is no sensor on manual gearbox versions to tell the ECU what gear is selected. It can in theory work out what gear it is in by comparing the gearbox speed sensor and the road speed sensor, but how that would stall the engine, considering the clutch is still pushed in, I have no idea.

If this was a CVT Steptronic/automatic gearbox TF there might be some way that selecting second gear (if there is a second gear!) could cause a problem, but you apparently have a manual gearbox TF 115.

Presumably if it stalls when second gear is selected the engine is somehow being loaded to the point it stalls.

For the engine to stall due to overloading in second with the clutch pushed in it would suggest the clutch isn't fully disengaged, as it should be with the clutch pedal pushed in.

This sort of fault would cause similar problems in 3rd, 4th and 5th, although you might get away with it in 1st or reverse due to the higher gear ratio.

More information needed really. The question has been asked if it stalls in 3rd gear or higher but you haven't answered that.
Does the car creep forward in 1st gear on flat ground with the clutch pushed in? (i.e. first gear selected but the clutch disengaged). If it does the clutch isn't disengaging fully when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Anyone else got any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts